NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ3 with steel legs vs EQ5

oriko

I would like to buy an EQ mount for my SW 150/750.

I hesitate between EQ3 with steel legs or EQ5 (it has steel legs too).

What is the main difference between theese mounts in addition to the payload capacity?

welcome to sgl unless you need portability I would get the eq5 the 150 will just about fit on a eq3 but its at the top of its weight limit and will flap about in anything above a very gentle breeze. The eq5 is heavier takes a bigger payload and costs more but it is a better mount than the eq3

As in everything in life you get what you pay for. The EQ5 is better in every respect...higher payload capability and better build quality. I'd go for the EQ5 just to future proof yourself. Go for the EQ3 and you will only end up buying an EQ5 later anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say it depends very much what you want to do with it.

For visual observing, the EQ3 is perfectly fine with the Explorer 150P. If you think about astrophotography then even the EQ5 is not man enough, better you should look at the HEQ5.

I started with the 150P on EQ3-2 and it was pretty good. I borrowed an EQ5 and found it to be no improvement. In the end, I bought NEQ6.

Archived