NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Any astronomers near Kingston, SW London?

Hello,

Just wondering if there are there any other astronomers near Kingston, SW London, or even better, any observing groups. Where's the nearest?

I'm like to get a bit of experience with different 4 inch refractors before buying my own one.

Andrew

Hi,

There are a few people from the SW London area on here. I use a 3'' refractor, the plan being to take it down to the park to use. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to do so because of clouds, amateur dramatics, more clouds etc...

I think the nearest groups are in Central London and down in Surrey. Someone may well correct me if I'm wrong.

DD

I am in Walton on Thames and we are just in the process of getting a local group together. Trying to find a site that's close by and as dark as possible this close to London. There is also Astronomy 4 Everyone who meet at Albury or Newlands Corner. Not sure if any groups observe in Richmond Park, possibly they do.

Stu

Thanks everyone.

I've been to one Albury once (a cold night in Feb) and they were a friendly bunch of people. I saw through about 6 scopes - mostly SCTs, but also an 8" newt and a Tal 100. But I'd really like to see what the view through a premium 4" APO is like, to know whether it's worth setting my hopes on.

It is a bit of a drive away, but at least that means it has a nice dark sky. I've been debating whether to join Astonomy4Everyone as it takes an effort to get down there.

Ryan, if you check out Walton and Hersham Astronomical Group on Facebook then you can join and help get it started. Nothing more than pub meetings currently but plans for observing sessions and other stuff.

PurpleFringe, I have a decent quality 4" apo triplet (Astrotech) which you are welcome to look through at some point.

Stu

Catching a train up to Regents Park one night, to meet up with the Baker Street Irregulars, may be your best bet. Contacting the Secretary beforehand may give you some idea of what refractors they have and use :)

Archived