Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

a few bits a pieces

simonf

I've decided to upgrade my celestron c8 with a few shiny new parts :smiley:, one of which is a new diagonal so far I've decided on either the baader click lock 2" dielectric diagonal or the William optics 2" dielectric diagonal, if I went for the baader version I would need to buy an extra 2" to 1.25" adapter as I have a few 1.25" eyepieces i'd still like to use. Is the baader diagonal worth paying extra for, is the click lock system better than thumb screws

Next part is a f6.3 focal reducer (haven't decided which one yet), I'm also after the baader click lock 2" to SCT adapter, what length adapter would I need to get the correct spacing between the reducer and sensor, it would be used with a DSLR (1100d)

The last piece is a new eyepiece, I've been looking a the baader Hyperion range as I like the fact its not just one power, by adding spacers you can increase the power and they can be connected to a camera, Can anybody recommend which to go for?, also does it lower the power by removing the 1.25" part of the eyepiece?

Any advice would be appreciated

Simon

Firstly diagonals,

The Baader is a lovely and very well built piece of equipment but expensive, however the WO is also very good too and many site members seem to have them. Myself I would go for the WO diagonal. I have Televue diagonals and really can't see any difference between them and the Meade one I had until recently though the build is better.

Reducers, I believe are all the same and come from the same factory, I have a Meade and that is fine but I only use it for visual, I have no idea how these match up with a camera in the mix. I once read buy the cheapest they are all the same, I have seen a Celestron reducer and as far as I can see it is only the name that is different.

I do not know the answer to the spacer question.

Eyepieces, Hyperions will work fine at F10 but I don't like them below F6, for me there are better on the market in faster scopes, but for you I don't see a problem. I do not believe in removing bits and pieces from eyepieces to alter them in any way, it is too easy to get dirt inside them. For that matter it is easy to drop bits in the grass. As to which to go for it will depend on what magnification you want to get near.

Hope this is of help.

Alan

I recently upgraded to the Baader clicklock sct back and diagonal on my C11 and find both much easier to use over my previous setup especially with cold hands. For me it was a good move. I ended up stripping the thread on my previous sct back through overtightening the clamp screw to stop the diagonal ratating with heavier eyepieces. As other members have commented I havent noticed any difference in views between the diagonals. Whether it is worth going for the clicklock is your decision but it is a good product.

Sorry I can't help with your other queries.

thanks for the help, i think im gonna go with the click lock system, but im only gonna be able to order it in a couple of weeks so theres plenty of time to change my mind :smiley:

I've been having a look at eyepieces again and found another choice, the Pentax xf 8mm, as it will mainly be used for planetary I want a decent high power eyepiece then when I can afford another I'll get a low power eyepiece, I've got a 20mm celestron plossl that came with the scope so that will do for now

Any thoughts on the pentax xf 8mm?

A good sharp eyepiece but at 250x in your scope it'll likely see limited usage. This is at the limit of the seeing in this country. If you are happy to look at slightly wavy images then it would be OK.

Do you have other eyepieces? The reason I ask that is - if this was your first and only eyepiece I'f steer you towards something more versatile like a 12mm or 15mm.

I've got a 25mm celestron plossl (not 20mm as I said in my last post) and a cheap 10mm skywatcher eyepiece that came my st80 so I'm looking to improve on the high power eyepiece

I agree with Stargazer00, an eyepiece that gives X250 is not on that would be high on my list, though the Pentax 8.5 XF is a great eyepiece. I my opinion you should go for something in the 15-12mm area, this will give you much more viewing pleasure with a sharper image. Even the most expensive eyepieces will not beat seeing conditions.

Alan.

Which type of mount are you using with your C8... an alt/az or an equatorial? If it's alt/az, the WO 2" comes with an SCT adapter, which will lock it in place. On an EQ, the SCT adapter isn't so useful but the Clicklock visual back is, since you can easily unlock, rotate, and lock the diagonal so you can put the eyepiece in a comfortable orientation. An EQ with the Clicklock vb and WO diagonal should work equally well, probably the only noticeable difference would be the clamp itself (WO is compression ring).

I've no experience of photography so I can't help with that, but using a focal reducer and 2" diagonal are kind of crossed purposes. From a visual point of view, the focal reducer is mostly useful for avoiding using 2" eyepieces (and associated size and weight), although it apparently does some field correction also.

Eyepiece-wise, I'd agree with the other guys :) my most used focal ranges are from 10-14 in my C8, the ES82 11mm getting the most eye time - not necessarily because it is the best optically (it's very good!) but because it is most versatile, being sharp and giving a wide field of view.

Archived