Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SN2013bu in NGC 7331

nytecam

Supernova SN2013bu was discovered over three weeks ago in NGC 7331 [Deer Lick Gp] currently low in the north. Stayed up this morning for my first attempt to record it low in the NE over the London murk - my final target of a brief session. :police:

post-21003-0-63015200-1368694747_thumb.j

Thanks everyone for your interest :police:

Just a question. How do you identify that it's a supernova?

When discovered usually very close to a gxy by amateur or pro, it's a just a "suspect supernova" [sN] in the pro listings and needs a professional hi-res spectrogram to confirm its spectrum has the characteristics of Type I or Type II SN.

Interlopers in the fov view like faint asteroids, galactic nova or variable star like a Mira variable in the line of sight can be elliminated via [asteroidal] movement or again their spectrum which is quite different from SN.

SN types tend to shine at a constant max brightness eg "standard candles" from which their distance can be gauged and against the SN's redshift - a miss match of the two in recent years has indicated the universe's rate of expansion is not constant and amateurs through their many brighter SN discoveries [usually nearer to earth] have indirectly contributed to this research ! Hope that helps :cool:

Archived