NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Synscan or not to Synscan...?

emadmoussa

I've got the EQMod adapter for my Syntrek NEQ6...I knew at some point I would need to explore the possibilities of getting a Synscan handset. Now, there's a second hand one available...a bit reluctant as I'm not sure how useful it'll be for me. I'd appreciate any thoughts on the subject.

If you ever intend to use your gear for really simple imaging or visual use out in the fields without power or a laptop handy then you may have use of a synscan controller.

If you're never going to do that then I wouldn't bother, just stick with EQMOD - you have the syntrek that came with the mount already ?

If you ever intend to use your gear for really simple imaging or visual use out in the fields without power or a laptop handy then you may have use of a synscan controller.

If you're never going to do that then I wouldn't bother, just stick with EQMOD - you have the syntrek that came with the mount already ?

Yep, I have my syntrek handset.

Yep, I have my syntrek handset.

Up to you I reckon, depends what you intend to use your kit for.

Personally, I only image nowadays and I use EQMOD so have no use for a synscan - I've got a syntrek but never used it.

I find the Syntrek quite useful when I'm doing visual...I just sit and relax and let the telescope do what's supposed to do :) I'm still thinking about it though. Like you say, I'd rather use the laptop for imaging, I don't like imaging blindly. I think it's worth weighing the pros and cons.

As Spikey said, you just need to ask yourself the question: Can you envisage a situation where you will want GOTO functionality and you won't have your laptop available.

Like you I got the Syntrek assuming I'd always have a laptop connected to the mount - 3 years on, my assumption is still holding good, but as they say YMMV :smile:

Archived