Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A guide to guiding!

Hi all,

I am the proud owner of an HEQ5/ED80 combo but want to take my AP a bit further on a budget. Would like a stand alone guide camera i.e. no requirement to cart about a laptop etc and dual mounted guide scope setup. Can anyone suggest a good package as its a bit bewildering!

I dont really fancy the guide scope mounting rings as it looks a little tricky to use.

In addition, I will be attending the IAS next weekend and will be keeping my eye open for a decent OTA to use with my HEQ5. Mainly for visual but would like the option of using it for AP. Can I get a quick heads up as to what I should take a look at?

Thanks all

Rick

Hi Rick,

If you are not opting for a separate guide scope then you'll needs some form of off-axis guider or possibly converting the finder into a finder guider.

The HEQ5 would be capable of supporting something like an ST80 with an QHY5 camera along side your ED80. Fitting additional tube rings isn't difficult. The QHY5 has an ST4 port which can plug directly into the guideport on the mount.

As for the OTA - depending on what set up you want, I wouldn't go above an 8" reflector for AP (with a guidescope) - or for lightness the CF Quattro range, where the 10" would make a cracking visual scope on this mount

Finder guiders are really pretty useful, small and light. I don't know of any off hand which can be used without a small laptop though.

I used to have an LVI smartguider which was standalone and simple to use, I now use a laptop and PHD and it is really quite flexible, if a bit bewildering at first.

Like you at first i wanted to use something simple and without a laptop but once you get into using the laptop you wouldnt look back. Since using it for PHD I now use EQMOD to control the mount and APT to control the camera all from the laptop along with PHD.

It opens up more possibilities.

Cheers

Stuart

Archived