Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Oops

jambouk

I have been trying to align the polarscope in the mount. I unscrewed the whole eye piece part and the reticule with the stars imprinted on fell out, into my hand luckily.

How do I now know what orientation to put it back in?

James

it doesn't matter. You adjust the orientation as part of the alignment process anyhow. As long as you get it facing the correct way everything will come out in the wash.

James

Nope. There are two parts to aligning the polar scope. The first is getting it concentric with the RA axis of the mount. The second is sorting out the rotation so that the Polaris indicator is in the right place relative to the time and date rings.

If you buy an aftermarket polar scope it doesn't come with any indications relating to the orientation it should have in the mount.

James

Ok, thanks. I've got it aligned in the sense when I rotate around the RA the cross hairs stay on the same point.

I'll have a go tonight at a rough and read polar alignment. I'm not too fussed about getting a spot on alignment tonight.

James

For visual, "rough and ready" is often good enough. I don't mind giving the mount an occasional "nudge" when I'm just observing visually. It's more of a pain for imaging.

James

Archived