Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Impact of replacing HEQ5 or NEQ6 tripod with Berlebach

Druid

If you upgrade the stock tripod to a Berlebach Uni or Planet or similar, does that make any difference, e.g. to the maximum viable load for imaging?

I'd guess it makes at least some difference, but I haven't tried so I thought I'd ask people who've remounted HEQ5/NEQ6 on Berlebach or similar tripods for their impressions.

Not sure how you would measure it but I have had a C11 on a CG5 on a Berlebach Uni 28 and was able to do planetary imaging on it, A Planet would be even steadier but with my config the tripod isn't the weakest link

With a lot of modification to the mount, losmandy saddle and OTA damping pads, vibration is damped quite quickly but obviously the C11 weight balance is the main issue to address since it is critical

With the 80mm APO it is solid as a rock apart from when I trip over it in the dark

Having said that, if you are going to spend 400 euro would a pier not be a consideration also?

Had the good fortune to pick up a Berlebach Planet dirt cheap last year , fantastic tripod , much more stable than the stock unit and less prone to vibration.

The mount head is what determines the load capacity though , the tripod upgrade just makes for a much sturdier platform for it.

OK, that's interesting. I can see that the mount head is the limiting factor when it comes to actually failing under load, bolts shearing and so on; but was thinking that maximum viable load implied other elements like how well the set-up controlled vibration.

Archived