Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Adding Counterweights

Morning all. I am mounting my 200P on my HEQ5 Pro mount and whilst balancing it is evident I need more counterweight.

I have these 2 on at the mo. Is it ok to put on more counterweight? It is a shame the counterweight bar is not longer!

post-26268-136757831329_thumb.jpg

Yes you can add another but I'm surprised you need to? My own 200P will balance with just two. If you want a "cheap" small weight try Tesco's for a small (1Kg?) dumbell weight in the "fitness" section - the hole in the middle will be a bit big but can be packed to fit easily enough.

You also have to consider the distance that the "extra" weight is from the axis. The further away the more weight that is needed to counterbalance it. (It's all to do with "Moments" where the moment = mass x distance from axis).

You also have to consider the distance that the "extra" weight is from the axis. The further away the more weight that is needed to counterbalance it. (It's all to do with "Moments" where the moment = mass x distance from axis).

Physics explains a lot... well, everything :). Adding dumbbell weights is often the cheapest way to do things, the branded weights are rather expensive for what they are.

Fordos - rather than the extra weight the counterweight extension bar might be worth a look and is pretty cheap - though some people have said that the extended weight extends the damp down period after knocking/handling. I have to use one extra 5kg weight on mine once I have the dew shield, camera, filter wheel, telrad, heaters and associated electronics - it all adds up and pushes the limits and that without sitting an ST80 on top.

Possibly makes you a bit less mobile, but then on top of all the paraphernalia what's one more 5kg weight ;)

Archived