SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Second light for my 5mm BST and a Saturn wow moment.

mountainmadman

After keeping a keen eye on the weather over the weekend, and the latest Sky at Night magazine being bought for me by SWMBO, I thought it would be a good chance to get out for a quick backyard session. So, I set up on the path running down the side of the house which give me a good SE/NW axis to look through.

I had two objectives for the night. Firstly, to try out my new 5mm BST Starguider EP. Secondly, I wanted to see if Saturn rises high enough above the hill opposite the house for me to see.

The new EP has already had one outing looking at the moon, but that didn’t last long. I come to conclusion that I need to invest in some filters after finding it quite uncomfortable looking at the bright moon for any period of time. Nevertheless, I was really pleased with the detail I could make out, and it gives me a future project of picking out and recognising different features on the moon.

However, this time, I wanted to see what else I could see with it. I think it was about 9.45 ish when I noticed a lone star coming up above the tree line. I checked with Stellarium which confirmed to me that there was a good chance that the apparent ‘star’ was actually Saturn.

So, I swung my SW 150P around and lined it up using the 25mm EP. I had all but the briefest of glimpses before I got clouded out. I just about made out the slightly blurred and irregular shaped object, and then nothing. Looking up from the scope I could see cloud all around. My first glimpse must have been no more than 2 seconds max. Absolutely gutted! So close and yet so far.

So, as I’d taken the time to set up, I could see Jupiter was still visible behind me so I swung around and started honing in on Jupiter and it’s moons. Swapping the EP for the new 5mm, I was pleased with what I could see. Now, to be honest, it’s a view which I have had before when I have barlowed the stock 10mm EP which came with the scope, but what I was able to appreciate this time around was the difference in the quality of the optics. The equatorial belts were really easy to pick out as were 4 moons.

After 10 – 15 minutes or so, and a series of checks to see if the cloud had cleared which was blocking my view of Saturn, I decided that it would have to wait for another night, so I started packing away the EPs. Just at that point, I caught a teasing glimpse of a break in the cloud. I stopped what I was doing and just stared, straining to make out the planet. And then, with some interstellar magic, the cloud parted and I was back in business. I didn’t want to miss it for a second time, so grabbed the 12mm, slotted it into the focuser and off I went. Quickly got it in the EP, and then came the big smile and childish giggle as it came into view getting brighter as the cloud passed, and the ultimate confirmation of the rings coming into sharp focus. Now I thought would be a good time to see what else the 5mm could do. So, slotted it in, aware that this was about as much as my scope could cope with in terms of magnification. Every few seconds, I gave the RA knob a twist to keep the planet in the FOV, and started tweaking the focuser to get as sharp as image as I could. I was just so pleased with what I could see. I could make out 3 moons, but there was a yellow tinge to the image. The seeing wasn’t brilliant, and though I don’t really live in an area which suffers huge amounts from LP, the couple of lights that are around, and the high level thin cloud I think are the things which prevented me from seeing more detail. I tried to make out the Cassini division in the rings, but I couldn’t confirm them. I think I might have seen them, but at the same time my eyes could have been playing tricks on me. I’ll leave that one un ticked until next time!

One nice moment was when my neighbour came home and I was able to show her what I was up to whilst lurking in the dark shadows between our houses. I was really pleased that I could demonstrate that not all the twinkling lights in the skies are stars!

So there you go, plenty enough to make me want to see more, and by looking at the forecast, I should get a good chance a couple of times in the coming nights.

Cheers

Tony

Great report. Saturn is just great, isn't it. Your 6" scope should be able to get you the Cassini division easily in good conditions. Seeing has a lot to do with it. I had difficulty with my 8" a night or two ago, but that was down to poor seeing (as so often when it is low in the sky).

Great report. Saturn is just great, isn't it. Your 6" scope should be able to get you the Cassini division easily in good conditions. Seeing has a lot to do with it. I had difficulty with my 8" a night or two ago, but that was down to poor seeing (as so often when it is low in the sky).

Saturn is low isn't it?! I hadn't fully appreciated this until comparing with what we had of Jupiter last Fall. We really need good atmospherics to be able to lay on the mag.

Saturn is indeed a special one. First time I saw it (about a year ago) was absolutely breathtaking.

Saturn is in opposition around this time I think. Does that mean that now we have the view of the whole year?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Archived