NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

astro trac system

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check out the FLO package, this suggests a manfrotto tripod IIRC.

a good sturdy tripod is needed and a geared head. I already had a tripod when I got my astrotrac so just needed the geared head.

Will it just be the WO66 or did you also get the TS90? If is just the 66 then a geared head should be ok. However I found the Astrotrac wedge brilliant. There was a big discussion a while ago on here-I will try to find the link

Here it is

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/139547-shiney-new-scope-for-my-astrotrac-but-not-happy/

let me know if you have any further questions

My setup is, tripod, geared head, astrotrac, ball head then camera. If your planning on mounting your wo66 your going to need a good strong geared head and a strong ball head. I got told I wouldn't be able to mount a scope on my setup. They where wrong! I can get 2 minute subs with my ts65q mounted. No trailing, no flexing and no eggy stars! You could try wex photography for your geared head.

no just the wo66 the TS90 or orion 80 will be on the HEQ5 most probably in the obsy, ive always had a thing for those ultra wide fields with a small nebula surrounded by a huge star field. so what type of gear head and were would i get one from

thanks

Dan

I really struggled (then gave up) trying to use a ball head on the astrotrac with a telescope (or even long lens) because it was a nightmare trying to aim the scope then keep it still to lock it in position. with the geared head it is easier but impossible to balance the 66 properly hence the reason for the astrotrac head. once balanced you just move it a bit like a giro mount then lock it when you are in the right place.

again i would not get the recommended vixen head as the screw marks the dovetails

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astrotrac/vixen-type-saddle-for-astrotrac-th3010-head-.html

instead i would use a none marring one such as an adm

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-guidescope-rings-and-systems/adm-vixen-style-saddle.html

I struggled at first. I tend to aim my scope just below the object I'm imaging then tighten everything up. When I let go of the scope the weight of my camera pulls the object into view. I re-check my alignment then do a quick 30 second shot to make sure I have no trailing. The scope belongs on the heq5 but it's good to know I can put it on the astrotrac for when I get out into the country for darker skies.

Archived