NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Machining inside of Tube Rings

Macavity

I have a couple of instances where standard Skywatcher Tube Rings are just a *little* too small! And yes, I have removed the felt linings. But a general "workshop" type question: Is there a technique, where a machinist (machine) could "shave" a bit (1-2mm) off the inside of rings?

The standard rings almost fit a MAK150 OTA, but it is just that bit larger than their 6" Newt tubes. Imagining my tame (good sport) CNC machinist and preempting that "sharp intake of breath"... :p

Not a problem with a suitable size lathe. If you fit the tube rings with a short piece of tube they can then be clamped to a faceplate and the tube centered. The tube is then removed to allow for machining of the rings to the new size. :smiley:

Thanks for the useful ideas! The standard rings do screw closed - Around a "GOLD" MAK150, but ideally I would like to gain ~6mm in circumference (just 2mm diameter) to get normal / better closure. Maybe a bit more to add some NEW thin felt / velour. :)

In case anyone was wondering: I use a pair of Skywatcher (ST)102 rings to fix a pair

of homebrew (power and USB) "hubs" either side of a Skywatcher Pillar mount. ;)

Archived