NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Delos V's Baader Classic Ortho V's ZAO-II @ 10mm

John

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I'm comparing eyepieces for optical performance I find I need to use targets which really challenge the conditions, scope and observer, to reveal differences between them. I also find that you need to compare eyepieces directly with their peers, keeping the conditions, scope and targets consistent, and over a number of sessions to quantify their differences. Doing it from memory just doesn't really work !

You reviews are invaluable, John and are extremely influential. I think we are all quite fortunate to have someone with so much experience here at SGL. Even if not always given and big thank you is always at hand.

You reviews are invaluable, John and are extremely influential. I think we are all quite fortunate to have someone with so much experience here at SGL. Even if not always given and big thank you is always at hand.

Thanks. Thats nice of you :smiley:

I reckon though that the real "power" of forums like this is in the mix of detailed reviews, short reports and general comments on products from a range of people with varying levels of experience. Although the viewpoints won't always coincide I reckon good and not so good products soon start to stand out making choosing just that bit easier, I hope !

I'd like to also think that some of the brands peruse forums from time to time to see what the customers think of their products. It's free feedback after all :smiley:

Keith,

I guess to get the best from these top draw Orthos you need to using them in a scope of similar quaity and with the seeing as good as it comes. I am still kicking myself for missing out on the XO 5mm, this thread has reminded me of it again. Still it is my own fault people like you and some of the others that have posted on this thread broadcast enough warning of them being withdrawn.

Alan.

I think so too. It'd be hard to justify one of these top draw eyepiece if the scope's optics is the limiting factor. There is no point spending £500 on a ZAO if you only plan on using it in a Evostar 120. Also, the seeing needs to be near perfect to see the difference between a top eyepiece and a very good one.

I was pretty late on the XO5 as well. After finding all European and American dealers and distributors and Pentax JP itself have ran out of stock, It took two months before I tracked one down from a dealer in Hong Kong who had one left.

I'd like to also think that some of the brands peruse forums from time to time to see what the customers think of their products. It's free feedback after all :smiley:

I hope Pentax would release a complete range of XO before they leave the market for good. No, actually bring back you astronomy division, or sell it to someone who's interested in continuing making your scope and mount

Now, lets hope they read this. :D

SG 00

Well it's only the other week where I saw evidence of one the ExSc people joining in on a forum, I believe you were in it yourself. It would be nice to think that someone in Pentax did something to just give a glimmer of hope, I started Astronomy back in about 1972 with my first scope and Pentax were if I recall correctly the top dogs then for eyepieces in the old one inch size, well I think it was an inch. I don't even think Televue were on the go unless thay started around then.

If they are reading the posts on this thread, what about two for the price of one, or buy two get one free. The Supermarket chains got there ideas from somewhere. Lets not go back to Green Shield stamps though.

Alan

I don't recall that at all alan my memory must be going. I thought it was good but how would you ever know if it wasn't? :) Can you recall what the jist of the thred was about? I'd like to PM someone from ExSc to ask a few questions!

I think the input referred to by Alan was from an EU ExSc rep.

I've already tried contacting ES in the USA and asking them about their UK pricing policy. I used their on line contact facility here:

http://explorescient.../contactus.html

I've done this 3 times now, being very polite and enthusing about their products. I've had no reply whatsoever so far, not even an acknowledgement of my query, unfortunately.

Perhaps if more of us raised this issue with them, we could have access to their products at reasonable prices without having to import them ?

This is taking the thread off topic though - sorry about that :embarrassed:

I built some rapport up with a US supplier and have email him a few times to ascertain what's going on with ES, in just general stock terms rather than their UK policy. I dont know if you noticed but they're out of stock everywhere at the moment, even Germany which is now quoting June 28th I think as the expected stock dates.

He's at NEAF this week and is going to ask the ExSc reps what is going on with restocking. Their shelves must be bare all over the world, doesn't make sense why they would push the sale on and on if all their stock was gone. It's left/leaving a vacuum.

John,

I think the least they could do is reply to you. That don't go down well with me. I can tell by the way you write your enquiry would be well worded and polite and for them not to reply, well they are off my Christmas card list !!

Alan

They were probably too busy laughing all the way to the bank. their last 12 months trading must've been record breaking given they are out of stock just about everywhere in one range or another.

just went back over my emails and found their european contact details

Explore Scientific GmbH | Dieselstr. 5 | D-85748 Garching

Phone: +49-(0)89-1301003-0 | Fax:+49-(0)89-1301003-999

http://www.explorescientific.de | info@explorescientific.de

Geschäftsführer: Holger Kierdorf, Tassilo Bohm

HRB 200983, Amtsgericht München, UStID: DE284789960

buying from optical systems they clearly just sub the order direct to ES europe like UK retailers sub Skywatcher orders to OVL

all my email correspondence was with ES directly and they responded within 24 hours, although it was order related. you might get a better response from them, equally the americans may simply have ignored any overseas enquiries because they have a european base.

Well they could have politely referred me to their EU base. The web page I linked to above said nothing about the contact services they offer being solely for use by US residents.

When I phoned Tele Vue last year I ended up talking with David Nagler :smiley:

John,

That tells you something about a Company. I don't know but I would imagine Televue is a fairly small family run concern, not on the same scale as Ex Sc, I have found that few companies remember the customer when they get big, the one exception I have come across was BP, they were totally professional to my Mother when my Father died back in 1971 and they were equally so in 1993 to me when my Mum passed, they didn't have to be but they were.

Alan

Archived