NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

solar observing is this all i need?

hi i want to try abit of solar observing next time we get abit of sun, i have an 8 inch scope and was wondering if this -http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/baader-astrosolar-safety-film-nd-50.html is all i need, and just make a cover out of it for the tube?

thanks rob

liverpool

Short answer; yes.

But once you've made your solar filter using the Baader film make sure it is securely attached to your scope, and there is absolutely no chance a gust of wind can blow it off or dislodge it. I know some folks on here also use some scotch tape to fasten it more securely to the scope, me included.

Also check the filter before each and every use, just to make sure there are no small holes or tears in the film. Take good care of your filter and it can last a good length of time.

I wish you safe viewing and clear skies.

P.S. hope this helps.

sent from Gherkin Muncher mk .III (commonly known as a Galaxy S2)

You can use this for white light observations. Make sure you make a secure cell to hold the sheet in place with no light leakage. If your scope has a dust cover with a removable section I would make a filter cell for that. Check my blog where I have some pics of the one I made.

A word of caution - Either remove or make one for your finder scope. Never look directly at the sun without the filter in place. Check the filter for pinholes before using with a bright light source (not the sun!!)

ok thanks for the advice, will order it now :) . i do have a dust cap with a removable section on it ill probably just make one for that see how it goes as i don't think 8 inches aperture for looking at the sun lol, anyone know what i can expect to see like sunspots etc.? and what sort of magnifications are best.

thanks.

With such a filter you will be able to see sunspots and their structure (umbra and penumbra), faculae and you will be able to see granulation on the surface, especially towards the limb.

Magnifications will depend on the atmospheric conditions. I find a lower mangification (aroud 75x) works best unless the air is very still.

Can I also recommend a hat of some description? Not just to protect your scalp but also to shade the eyepiece which will make things easier to see!

Richard

Archived