Canon problems

nephilim

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a matter of interest is this set-up supposed to work without a memory card in the camera? DSLRs usually don't have any built-in storage at all so there's nowhere to store images (even temporarily) without a card of some sort in them.

As a matter of interest is this set-up supposed to work without a memory card in the camera? DSLRs usually don't have any built-in storage at all so there's nowhere to store images (even temporarily) without a card of some sort in them.

I'll be using it with back yard eos (IF it ever works) the camera is connected to the laptop & all the framing, focusing & imaging is done through an imaging plan set by the software, many people use it (or APT which is more or less the same thing) All the images taken are stored straight on the laptop.

Just installed Canon Utilities on my spare computer without a disk, and my 40D will take a picture without a card installed, you can tell the capture software to use both or just the computer.

Not sure how you installed DPP! Was it through REGEDIT and a text file.

Jim

Thanks Jim, similar to mine apart from my wonderful yellow exclamation mark. I've sent u a msg regarding the 3 line notepad code. I'm off out for the afternoon now but i'll be back on in the evening.

Steve

I have tried my 300D with and without a CF card and I get the yellow symbol when I select bulb setting. To get it out of bulb click on where it says "bulb" and then setting click on the far right symbol of the row of 4 arrow symbols that looks like this >|

If you are getting that screen the driver is working fine as the camera has obviously been detected.

Looking at this page

http://www.backyardeos.com/product_backyardeos.aspx

it says for the 350D that the bulb functionality is achieved using a (custom) serial cable. This plugs into the bulb connector on the camera near the usb connector. I suspect they store the image on the CF card and then download it from there.

This is different to my 1000D which allows bulb control via the USB.

When I used my 300D I used a cheap bulb device which could be programmed to take multiple shots at a selected exposure. I then used the laptop to download the images from the CF card using the Canon utilities.

This is one of the reasons I moved onto a 1000D although if your exposure is 30 seconds or under the Canon utilities allow you to take multiple shots automatically using the timer function.

Hi gkec, ive got the serial cable from astronomiser so I know the problem isnt with that, i've ordered a CF card anyway just in case, it has the same response in all the settings not just bulb. Thanks anyway though.

Jim, I'll do as u'v suggested in the pm & start all over again but use the idea you have aswell. I'll get back to u once thats done. Cheers :smiley:

Steve

Ok, Steve, I will look out for you and I have sent you a reply, and its 4 lines my mistake lol

Jim

Hi Jim, tried uninstalling everything then re installing, installed the capture link & the eos driver, did the ddp.reg u gave me & still the smae thing :mad: I've more or less had it with all this now, I think the only thing that will help is if I can find someone who can actually see all this in the flesh. Looking like a new camera unfortunatly. Just out of interest are there specific settings that have to be used on the camera & on byos, other than that I can think of zilch now.

The 350 does not have liveview but should still be controllable through BYeos or if not APT. Honestly though I would see about trying to swap for a 450D or 1100D or another with liveview. Having started on a 10D (no LV) and now used one with it, it makes your life soooo much easier. I know it's a load of messing around to change cams but its definitely worth it. Also the two mentioned above have other attractive features.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Canon_EOS_digital_cameras

This wiki page helped me make the jump :)

Posted via Tapatalk on an ageing iPhone so please excuse any erroneous spellings or accidental profanities!

Archived