Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice for Eq goto mount for astrophotography.

Need advice on a good EQ goto mount for astrophotography, im getting by using a skywatcher Alt-Az goto for planetary webcam work at the moment and I want to upgrade so I can try DSO's. I dont have a lot of budget was looking at second hand £250 if possible any advice welcome.

Need advice on a good EQ goto mount for astrophotography, im getting by using a skywatcher Alt-Az goto for planetary webcam work at the moment and I want to upgrade so I can try DSO's. I dont have a lot of budget was looking at second hand £250 if possible any advice welcome.

Hello GyCx,

welcome to Stargazerslounge :)

It depends on what type of scope and camera you own, as the mount will need to be able to cope with the weight / size of those items.

Let's say, If you have a small refractor or a small newtonian, an Eq3-2 Go-To should be ok, if you have a large newtonian or an SCT an Eq5 Pro or better an Heq5 / Eq6 should be fine. EQ mounts with Go-To are pricey, you might need to look at the second hand market if you are on a budget.

Clear Skies!

You may get a used EQ3-2 GOTO for £300. You may get away with wide angle lens and DSLR on the EQ3-2, but you need a HEQ5 for scope based DSO imaging and those cost around £450 - £500 used.

DSO imaging is one of the most expensive form of photography and used HEQ5 is in high demand.

You should by this book if you haven't bought it already. http://www.firstligh...e-richards.html

PS: welcome to SGL

Skywatcher HEQ5, what you need for AP, is a totally different mount to EQ5. HEQ5 is a scaled down EQ6 (clone of Tak EM200), while EQ5 is a clone of the Vixen GP2.

EQ5 equivalent:

Celestron CG5

Vixen Great Polaris/GP2 (the original)

IOptron Zeq25GT

HEQ5 equivalent:

Vixen GPD2/GPDX

IOptron IEQ30

Vixen Sphinx, SXD, SXP

Am I right in thinking that if I want to pursue DSO's im looking at £500.00 for the Mount plus a further £300.00 for the Camera & accessories (second user of course). Forgive my ignorance but is this the only way forward what does the HEQ5 do that the EQ5 won't?

Many Thanks.

What the heq5 does that the eq5 doesn't do is the accuracy of its tracking and ability to be guided easily, smoothly and accurately. it also has higher carrying load. The difference is more than just a letter it's a different mount. it's possible with some skill and a fair bit of luck to get images out of an eq5 but if you are after consistant and repeatable quality you need a heq5. The celestron cg5gt has a slightly better ability than the eq5 but it's still a long way short of the heq5. the heq5 is considered by imagers to be entry level for decent astroimaging anything lower is possible but definitely sub-optimal.

Archived