Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another wide angled EP, but would it be worth it

bomberbaz

Vixen do have a reputation of understating performance. It is possible the 42LVW has distortion that stretches its AFOV to 72deg while in reality it only show 68deg worth of true field. Its understandable Vixen may underrate the 42LVW to 65deg in order to avoid any legal problem. But I still think it's more likely their sales department forgot to read the small prints.

I bought my 42LVW used for a very good price. Otherwise I may have bought the 40 Aero instead.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find this incredible. I have been considering getting one of these eyepieces for a long time due to the maximum fov claimed. For a company to effectively lie about the specs is quite shocking.

This vixen thing is nothing. I recently measured the field stop of an Erfle 22mm 70deg illuminated reticle EP I got for my finder. Result: 21mm, which means the geometric AFOV is just 57 degrees. The rest (13 deg) is apparently "taken care of" by distortion. The field stop should be 25.2 mm. Now that is being ripped off!

Heads up, I have decided to sack the Vixen although it will be intersting when Keith dinally does a drift test. Please do it Keith cos I really want to know. But Having spoken with one of our more seasoned observers personally and taken his advice on board I have gone for the Swan.

I know it Hasnt got the quality of the other EPs mentioned but in an F10 scope I feel it will perform to ab acceptable standard. What this does now allow me to do is buy a sky panorama 23mm and a O-III filter for the same price. The money was already spent so this gives me a the EP i wanted plus an extra one + some more.

I have sinply lost faith and interest in an expensive item that has unclear stats and is probably higher spec than my SCT needs.

The panorama will replace an x-cel 25mm ep. Higher mag and nearly 25% more tfov.

This leaves me feeling i have a win win result and allows me to get back to work. It literally took over my life from Tuesday, kinda funny but not good either.

Thanks to all for input and I will report back on my findings on th swan. I think the results going off what how discussion went will be quite pleasing.

Steve ( typed on iphone in the pub :p )

Great. Let us know how you get on with them. I haven't heard any reports of the Sky Panoramas so it'd be good to get an idea of how they feel.

Yeah sorry never mentioned that did I! I meant to say I will review both the Swan and the Panorama once I have. Think the panorama is pushing my wieght limit but I have a mod that will be on here shortly after this post that aims to help with this issue.

Steve

Archived