NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M13 06 April: It so nearly wasn't...

Mak One

Fought a long battle last night getting the guide camera and imaging camera par focal when using the OAG. Finally got it sorted and landed up at M13. Only my second serious stab at anything DSO, but I'm happy as It's something to show for what was otherwise going to be a frustrating evening of cold-welded adaptors, skinned fingers and slipping focusers at the zenith. Anyway...

20 x 60s subs with Atik 314L+ mono and ED80Pro DS (no darks etc as I'm taking Atik at their word for now...):

post-12224-0-41569800-1365335545_thumb.j

(Other minor discovery: that imaging when standing in the cold seemed warmer than imaging when sitting down. Weird.)

That's a fantastic image and many congratulations. I agree about feeling warmer standing up. I was out imaging last night, with a little observing thrown in too, and I was getting pretty cold. Fortunately, there was no breeze but I still got a bit shivery - need a better coat I think. The globular cluster M53 is better located for me at the moment (trees are a bit of an obstruction in our garden) but I managed to view M13 with my binoculars.

Nice one :) I've found I don't need darks with the 314L+ - marvellous camera - I'm delighted with mine :)

Thanks Gina. Is this one of those rare cases where the reality lives up to the blurb then? From the few airings I've given mine, I've been very impressed with it, and the Artemis and Dawn software. (One horrific moment last night when trying to get a cold-welded adapter off it I dropped it about 12" onto a laminate floor. No damage done, thank goodness, so tough little beasts in to the bargain!)

Does the "no darks" rule hold for narrowband too?

Thanks Gina. Is this one of those rare cases where the reality lives up to the blurb then? From the few airings I've given mine, I've been very impressed with it, and the Artemis and Dawn software. (One horrific moment last night when trying to get a cold-welded adapter off it I dropped it about 12" onto a laminate floor. No damage done, thank goodness, so tough little beasts in to the bargain!)

Mine dropped onto a wooden floor when I had screws come loose in the focuser - about 3 or 4 feet :eek: Again, no damage but I've lined the floor with shock absorbing foam tiles since to make sure that if anything else drops it too doesn't get damaged.
Does the "no darks" rule hold for narrowband too?
Yes, it does :)

Archived