Izar and 44 Bootes

I thought I'd take a look at Izar with my ED102 refractor tonight. Quite a tight split for a 3 arc second separation because of the unequal brightness of the components (mags 2.6 and 4.8) but clearly split at 165x. The secondary star just sat on the outer edge of the diffraction ring of the primary, like a diamond on a ring :smiley:

Then had a go at a new one in Bootes, 44 Bootes. It's a pair of mag 5.2 and 6.1 stars with a separation (I think) of just 1.4 arc seconds. The 4" Vixen did well when encouraged with some extra magnification (221x) and the pair went from an elongated "peanut" to a thin but distinct sliver of a split as my eye relaxed and the view stabilised. The primary seemed yellow / gold and the secondary white to my eyepiece. A good split for a 4" scope I reckon :smiley:

The above were viewed using 8mm and 6mm Ethos eyepieces in the 2x Powermate. Pretty impressed by these combinations again :grin:

I thought I'd take a look at Izar with my ED102 refractor tonight. Quite a tight split for a 3 arc second separation because of the unequal brightness of the components (mags 2.6 and 4.8) but clearly split at 165x. The secondary star just sat on the outer edge of the diffraction ring of the primary, like a diamond on a ring :smiley:

Then had a go at a new one in Bootes, 44 Bootes. It's a pair of mag 5.2 and 6.1 stars with a separation (I think) of just 1.4 arc seconds. The 4" Vixen did well when encouraged with some extra magnification (221x) and the pair went from an elongated "peanut" to a thin but distinct sliver of a split as my eye relaxed and the view stabilised. The primary seemed yellow / gold and the secondary white to my eyepiece. A good split for a 4" scope I reckon :smiley:

The above were viewed using 8mm and 6mm Ethos eyepieces in the 2x Powermate. Pretty impressed by these combinations again :grin:

I had a look at Izar last night, amongst other gems. It is a stunner, isn't it. very nicely split at x150 and very clear yellow and green-blue colours (someone else said it is better than Albireo - they may be right).

I'll have a go at 44 Bootes as well, weather permitting...

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I just felt I needed to post this. I'm in my obsy now, and fancied a challenge so went for a look at 44 bootes. I have a clean split at x360 with my 180 mak.

There seems to be a little variation as to the seperation but it's between 1.4'' & 1.6''. This is the closest double I have achieved to date!

I bought the mak for solar system and doubles and it hasn't let me down I must say.

Right, let me have a squint at Saturn.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Have been meaning to have a look at Izar after reading this thread. Got round to it last night, and managed a nice split at x153 in my 4". Nice colour, particularly the b component's green/blue hue.

Clouded over before I got to 44, will give it a go when I get a chance. I have the separation at 1.4 arc seconds too John, but SkySafari lists Izar at 2.6, slightly closer than you mentioned. 44 looks to be quite tricky so will be interesting to see if I get it.

Cheers

Stu

Archived