Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How To Learn The Skies?

Most important I found was locating Polaris/Northern Star by following Big Dipper, because if you happen to be somewhere other than home, and it is dark, you will always know where north is and can work from there. Not sure if you know how to find it, but I'd say it is no. 1 to find and probably the easiest (hey you did say you were a beginner :grin:).

As mentioned above, get an atlas (either physical book preferably with months or Stellarium) and prep yourself before going out on every night it is clear for at least a few minutes, no matter how cold it is and try to find what you are looking for, as well as seeing what you can recognise from previous nights.

Binoculars can make you feel even more lost until you generally know where you are looking but get a pair anyway as it will open up a whole new world to you.

After a while, you will wonder how on earth you didn't notice those really bright constellation stars.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use The Monthly Sky Guide by Ridpath, prominent monthly constellation. Usually one high up, as in straight up.

Need to start with a couple of constellations, would say Plough and Casseiopia.

Plough will point you to Polaris, Leo and the big orange star Arcturus which is part of Bootes.

Casseiopia will point to Andromeda Cepheus, double cluster in Perseus, corner of Pegasus.

For ease, as they are there all the time look up circumpolar constellations and get going on these.

Will warn you that some of the constellations are not easy to make out or work out how they make a constellation in the first place. Orions belt point to Sirius that is the main star in Canis Major. How the stars there make a dog I have no idea and even less for Canis Minor.

Take a book, wrap up warm and just spend time looking.

Take a set of binoculars to look into any for a bit more detail.

My one suggestion would be not to buy a scope with goto as a first scope, as a manual scope (or bins in your case) will help you find where you need to be.

I took the 'one constellation at a time' approach when I started out and can now recognise most of the constellations and find them.

Archived