Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DId i see M13?

Can someone please tell me what M13 should look like , im using skywatcher 130 with 25mm ep. I Had a great session last night , but im not to sure if I really saw M13 the great cluster , skies where clear , but all i saw in the ep was a round (ish) smudge couldent really make out any stars or detail.

M13 should appear as a quite large circular fuzz. Depending on how bad your light pollution is, a 5" scope should start to resolve some stars at the edge, with a little magnification.

Sounds to me like you saw it.

Be prepared, most deep sky objects look like fuzzy blobs. Some have shape, some texture and the best do show a little detail but most of these objects are comparatively dim and do not show up like the beautiful photos we sometimes see.

In my experience, M 13 - even in a light polluted city - ought to be quite a bright and easy eye-treat. With a 4" f/10 between 83x to 100x, the cluster takes on a spectral fern like appearence, something like this and with a 10" f/5 it looks something like this at around 120x to 130x. I reckon, then, with an 8" you should be able to resolve the cluster and on another evening you may also like to check out the spectacular beauty of M 3, M 53 and M 92.

I had tried this any tips?

There's really nothing to it other than not looking directly at the object!

When I saw it I wasn't dark adapted and it was low in the sky above the haze of Boston, so it wasn't prime viewing!

In my experience, M 13 - even in a light polluted city - ought to be quite a bright and easy eye-treat. With a 4" f/10 between 83x to 100x, the cluster takes on a spectral fern like appearence, something like this and with a 10" f/5 it looks something like this at around 120x to 130x. I reckon, then, with an 8" you should be able to resolve the cluster and on another evening you may also like to check out the spectacular beauty of M 3, M 53 and M 92.

looked like the first pick thanks

Archived