Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

astronomical tourism: any recommendations?

tenbyfifty

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any idea if there is a similar service in Spain?

Costa Blanca to be precise.

I think La Palma is a special case, they set their stall out for astro tourism from the local government down. Not heard of anything similar on the Costa Blanca but I'm sure the guys at the local astro society would be pleased to point you in the right direction -

http://costablancaastronomers.wordpress.com/

Hi ilbrec

I'm repeating here a post I made a couple of months ago in another thread in case any of the info is any use.

Pete

I've just got back from a week on La Palma. Probably like a lot of people I didn't know much about it apart from being the home of one of the world's great observatories, so here's an Astro-Trip Advisor style review. I haven't seen the S@N article about La Palma,so apologies if I'm repeating stuff you already know.

I've been to the other Canary Islands a few times, but La Palma is a bit different - very green apart from the volcanic spine and south, relatively undeveloped, just a few hotels, restaurants and bars in the small resorts, and a bit cheaper than the other Canaries. If you want night life it's not exactly jumpin' but it's great if you want a laid back holiday. You really need a car to get about though.

The Observatorio del Roque de los Muchachos (ORM) is built on the northern edge of a 6 mile wide 5000ft deep caldera. At nearly 8000ft up it's above the clouds most of the time - 300 clear nights a year I think (stop crying at the back there!). The day we went it was cloudy on the coast but we drove up through the clouds to a beautiful clear day. The drive from the capital Santa Cruz on the east coast takes about 1hr15min - you'll get sick of the hairpin bends but the road is quite safe. There are a dozen or more major scopes there, The William Herschel, Isaac Newton, MAGIC gamma ray scopes and the new big one, the Gran Telescopio Canarias (GTC) - 410in (eat your heart out Palomar!). You can see them all from the roads or visitor's car park (no cafe or toilets up there),but not up close unless you book a (free) tour well in advance HERE http://www.iac.es/en...op2=420〈=en I booked but it got cancelled for technical reasons the week before :huh: . Visits are just on Saturdays through the winter but I think they do twice a week in summer.

Sky quality is something else. In the late 90s the local government introduced the Sky Law, with strict rules on exterior lighting and aviation routes (i.e. no flashing lights or contrails on your astro images!).

So what else is there for astronomers on La Palma? To start with, the government has been busy converting some of their miradors (viewpoints) into astronomical viewpoints. These are located in dark areas up in the hills with car parking, firm ground for tripods etc. and astronomical information boards. They intend to convert 14 and so far they've done at least 4. You can go on your own but there are also astronomical tour companies on the island who will take or meet you there to have a look through their scopes. They cater for serious amateurs as well as beginners and will also hire out equipment by the day or week - here are two of them

Astrotour http://www.astrotour...in/in_index.php

Astro Camp http://www.astrolapalma.com/

La Palma has 14 Starlight Guides, tour guides who are qualified in both astronomy and tourism. One of them is Sheila Crosby who used to work at the ORM and has written a guide to the observatory. I found her website http://www.starisland.co.uk invaluable when I was planning my trip.

We took the easy option and went on a self-catering package with Thomsons to Los Cancajos on the east side of the island near Santa Cruz and the airport. One night at the hotel we had a talk from one of the Starlight Guides, then out on the roof terrace to look at Jupiter and M42 through her CPC800 - a welcome change from 2nd rate Abba tribute acts! One tip - if you're staying on the east and it's cloudy, try driving over the ridge to the west (about an hour) and more often than not the sky will be clear there. There are no budget airlines flying to La Palma. From Manchester the only direct flight was Thomsons, whether as part of a package or not. If we go again we might try one of the Casas Rurales (country houses). You can book them HERE http://www.islabonita.es/ Apparently some of them have astro gear, don't know which ones or what though.

A point in response to something somebody said in this thread. Tourism to La Palma was damaged by an alarmist Horizon programme a few years ago that claimed the west side of the island is due to slip into the sea any time and result in a mega tsunami which will devastate the eastern seaboard of the US. Most geologists think this was bad science and a poor interpretation of facts. La Palma is the most geologically active of the Canaries with 7 eruptions in 500 years, the last being 1971 in the far south of the island, but no one was killed by them and they say you could walk faster than the lava flows. Volcanic activity is being very carefully monitored.

If you go to Tenerife instead, for me the best option is to drive up to the Las Canadas caldera. At about 2000m you're generally above the clouds but you can check the obs webcams before you set off to be sure.

Sorry to have waffled on a bit, but hope you find something to help your visit. Big thanks to Sheila Crosby for helping out with some of the info.

post-22965-0-63388500-1361911236_thumb.jpg post-22965-0-97879900-1361911299_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I can highly recommend the Sossusvlei Desert Lodge in Namibia. As well as some of the darkest skies you will fin anywhere, you get to enjoy all the deep sky wonders the Southern Hemisphere has to offer, with almost guaranteed clear skies every night, while using the on site 12" Meade LX200 with the resident astronomer.

I enjoyed it do much in 2010 that we have integrated another visit there this year as part of another African Safari.

I also observed in the desert in Oman last year. I took my APM TMB 105 with me. Hundreds of km from the nearest settlement, the skies were as dark ad I have ever seen (13/14 stars unaided in M45) and my 4" scope showed as much as my 11" SCT does in light polluted Hampshire.

Archived