NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My first Iridium Flare!!

Beautiful clear skies tonight and just spotted my first Iridium flare (Iridium 82) using an iPhone app to know where/when to look. Very impressed..... it was spot on time and very bright!! Been trying to spot one for ages so well chuffed.... Now just waiting for it to get properly dark to see what else I can spot tonight!!

Great stuff. So you actually knew when and where it was going to be?

I saw two very bright iridiums on successive days in the same place, and it wasn't even dark. Just luck I suppose. I have also caught countless on images with my dslr.

Yep... Used an iPhone App caled Iridium Flares (other Aps are available!) which gives you all the info for your exact location. An arrow even tells you which direction to look in and a countdown timer tells you when! It wasn't dark when I saw mine either according to the app the flare was a mag -4.4. Might start trying to see how many different Iridium satellites I can see!!!

Archived