Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

APT ... bulb mode and exposure.

emadmoussa

Hello everyone,

OK, what am I missing here?

I set the Exposure to ''Bulb'' > Bulb seconds to ''60" and "Shoot"....the peep goes on infinitely until I press ''Pause" or ''Stop"....Nothing happens, no images.

With APT, I can achieve exposures up to 30 seconds, pretty much like the camera settings, then I can hear the mirror clicks and thus a photo comes out - as you know. With bulb mode, it seems to go forever (which expected), but can't stop it at a point and get a click (captures an image). I know it sounds like a dazed question, but this world is fully of overwhelmed confused people :D

One more thing, how can I set APT to continuously take 30-sec or more exposures one after the other without me having to do it manually?

post-27451-0-16083700-1364822781_thumb.j

Its been a while since I used it, and am not sure I used it in the same way you are, but I would lower the ISO to 800 anyway.

If you want APT to control the camera for a sequence of exposures, you have to create a plan for it to work to. Click the arrow next to where it says 'no plan selected'

Choose a plan and edit the input boxes to how you want it to run. Save the plan with a name like 'M31 lights' or whatever you fancy and then press start. You can add plans of different sttings and APT will continue through all of them until the run is finished. You can create as many plans as you want, for different subjects with different settings.

I'm sure others will help if i have missed anything, which I'm sure I have.

You can test this during the day. No need to wait for stars, just point the camera at something and have a play.

I don't use APT but have the Canon software and I don't have a problem, bulb works perfect, give that a try and see wether it's the camera or APT.

Jim

Yep, the standard EOS Utility software works fine with long exposure...

Its been a while since I used it, and am not sure I used it in the same way you are, but I would lower the ISO to 800 anyway.

If you want APT to control the camera for a sequence of exposures, you have to create a plan for it to work to. Click the arrow next to where it says 'no plan selected'

Choose a plan and edit the input boxes to how you want it to run. Save the plan with a name like 'M31 lights' or whatever you fancy and then press start. You can add plans of different sttings and APT will continue through all of them until the run is finished. You can create as many plans as you want, for different subjects with different settings.

I'm sure others will help if i have missed anything, which I'm sure I have.

You can test this during the day. No need to wait for stars, just point the camera at something and have a play.

Thanks for the advice...you're right, the iso should be 800. Apart from that, the bulb mode issue persists...

Hi Emadmoussa,

To resolve the problem with the Bulb, please select from the list "Long Exp." the option Virtual. On your screen shot it is set to use the Biula Audio trigger... APT sends a signal to the audio port and expects the device there to start the exposure... I suppose that you don't have such trigger?

Hi Emadmoussa,

To resolve the problem with the Bulb, please select from the list "Long Exp." the option Virtual. On your screen shot it is set to use the Biula Audio trigger... APT sends a signal to the audio port and expects the device there to start the exposure... I suppose that you don't have such trigger?

Thanks, Ivo. I'll give it a shot when I get home. Does my setting explain the peep? Or is it part of the long exposure programming?

This setting is the reason for the strange behavior. It can't be used without the trigger...

About your other question. The next version (coming this week) has Focusing type plans that don't save images on the camera/disk, so you can run a long batch and stop it when it is needed :)

This setting is the reason for the strange behavior. It can't be used without the trigger...

About your other question. The next version (coming this week) has Focusing type plans that don't save images on the camera/disk, so you can run a long batch and stop it when it is needed :)

Hello Ivo,

Thanks for the tip, buddy. I changed the ''Long Exp.'' to ''Virtual'' and now the long exposure works like a magic. Happy bunny here :D

Good news :)

Looking forward to see your suggestions and images :)

Thanks! From my perspective as UI developer I can throw in a couple of suggestions for the UI. That is not to say there's anything wrong with the UI, it's user friendly and attractive.

My images are max 30 seconds exposure...so not great really :) Hopefully this Friday clear skies are expected, then I'll go for it again...this time equipped with the ''bulb power''.

Archived