Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Leo triplet (and doubles)

jason.p

My first session for quite a while so I thought I'd have a look round Leo which seems quite well placed for me (and I'd only just recognised the "sickle" as being part of the system :shocked: ).

Working from Regulus (is this really a double, the companion star is quite a long way away?) then up to Algieba which is a nice double, and along to Chorta and down to Iota. Thanks TLAO, I dropped right on the trio, all three in the FOV of my 26mm. A bit of a wow moment, much needed after a seemingly long lay off. I then moved across to Castor and got the separation. Another double for my collection (I'm getting hooked on doubles!). Encouraged by my success I thought I'd have a go at Sirius. I'd read from previous posts that it was not easy. I spent about twenty minutes but no way. It was too bright and "sparkly". I guess it's probably beyond my scope. I'll keep trying, maybe one day conditions will be just right. That certainly would be a wow moment!

Finished up with Jupiter just as it was disappearing over my Western horizon. Beautiful as usual with all four moons over to one side.

Over all a great session which more than made up for all those cloudy nights :smiley:

(Got up at 3.30am for a glimpse at Saturn, but it had clouded over, oh well, can't have it all!)

Jason

Nice report Jason - some viewing at last !

Leo is a very rewarding area. Sirius (in Canis Major) was just about split last night with my 12" F/5.3 newtonian and the 6mm BGO eyepiece.

There are two Leo triplets - one is M95, M96 and M105 and the other is M65, M66 and NGC 3628. With low power, wide angle eyepieces in the right scope you can fit all three in the field of view of both groupings.

Good report Jason. I share your interest in doubles and had a good sky on Saturday night. I was at work in Boötes for double stars but think I needed to get the Barlow. Suppose it also pays to research the separation with these doubles before having a look to be sure of the companion star. Vega is a great stop if you want doubles. The double double is a fine challenge and I normally need maximum mag to split them.

I went for one of the Leo triples (M65, M66 and NGC 3628) but the moon was up enough to create interference.

Nice report Jason - some viewing at last !

Leo is a very rewarding area. Sirius (in Canis Major) was just about split last night with my 12" F/5.3 newtonian and the 6mm BGO eyepiece.

There are two Leo triplets - one is M95, M96 and M105 and the other is M65, M66 and NGC 3628. With low power, wide angle eyepieces in the right scope you can fit all three in the field of view of both groupings.

Thanks for that. Just got the other triplet (M95, 96, 105), took me a while but got 'em in the end^_^

Jason

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk HD

I too had a gander at the Leo Gals last night, unfortunatly I found it really quite hard to observe them in my 5". I was able to sketch M65 and M66, just, and I wasn't convinced I saw them till I cross referenced the stars. M95 and M96 were even harder seen as two faint circular fuzzy patches and I wasn't confident it was them at the time, after some careful checking I believe it was them. Will attempt a sketch tonight, touch wood.

I need ... ... ... a bigger scope! :p

I need ... ... ... a bigger scope! :p

Now don't start that; sounding expensive! Seriously though, I think the Triplet is where my 5" newt starts to hit the limit of capability, although some really dark skies might make a big difference.

Archived