Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Widefield eyepiece recommendations

catburglar

I'm in the market for a widefield eyepiece around 30-40 mm focal length. I'm considering a Skywatcher Aero ED or the Baader Aspheric. Both seem to get good reviews, does anyone have comparative experience?

My current scopes are a 150 Mak at F12 and a ZS Ed80 at around F7 so neither are too demanding.

Any thoughts, or other recommendations that won't break the bank?

I agree with Damo on the Aero ED. Fine eyepiece at those focal lengths. I recall a member compared an Aero ED to a Baader Aspheric quite some time back and reported that they were very similar in performance.

One thing I'd say with the Aspheric is that I found my 31mm very good in it's 2" format, but with the 1.25" barrel fitted I prefer my 24mm Hyperion. It suits my 200P dob but won't come to focus in my older refractor.

I have the Baader Aspheric 36. It behaves quite well at f/9 and slower. In f/6 the edge performance takes a bit hit. It would probably do a bit better at f/7, but I would not expect good edge performance. For long, wide angle eyepiece I think the price is quite good though, and it is relatively light compared to similar eyepieces.

Have not tried the aero, so I cannot compare the two.

Archived