Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Just found we have a Cumbrian section...

Lakewitch

My wife and I only got our first scope a couple of months ago, followed by a new one this weekend....(One each??) and as we are new to Astronomy, we are finding our way around from Sky to SGL.

Have visited Border Astronomical society in Carlisle, and Cockermouth Astro club too (we will be members of Cockermouth soon). Excellent talk given and a lot of enthusiastic and very knowledgeable people.

We live on the coast, near Wigton...and luckily have quite dark skies. If anything is organised where we can attend (my wife is not too good at standing and having Rheumatoid Arthritis, she hates the cold) we would be happy to help if we can.

Hoping to meet others locally at some point.....

Dark and clear skies ( ok I am an optimist)

Frank & Lynda

Hi,

Theres not much that I know of going on in Cumbria although i've only recently moved near to Penrith so havn't really had time to have a good look around. Theres an SGL member called 'Demon Barber' (look for him in the members section) who organises star parties near Longtown (only 20 miles from you, it wouldnt hurt to message him & ask if theres anything coming up & if so then i might just see you there. :smiley:

Steve

Hi Frank and Lynda,

Welcome.

There are two star parties that might interest you.

First, Cumbria 8 at Longtown in late May .

Secondly, is Galloway 5 in mid November.

See them in Astro Events on this site.

Both are very good star parties, especially Galloway with some of the darkest skies in the uk.

Both attended by an excellent group of people.

I do a round trip of 800 miles to the Galloway one it is so good.

Mike, the Demon Barber is a great character and can give you all the info you need.

Cheers

Adrian

Archived