SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

8" Skyliner dob

...is on its way :D :D

Trying not to get too excited as the weather's miserable and so's the forecast, but I can't help it :)

Plenty of advice from cotterless in my inbox for when it gets here, just need to be able to see some stars :cool::rolleyes:

In the meantime, I still haven't finished swilling the mud off all of my kit from SGL8. Woke up to find ducks waddling around my garden a few days ago, reminded me of them swimming around outside AstroTux and Linda's tent on Saturday morning :p

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Christ!

I've seen people commenting about the big box before, but I sort of thought "well it's a 4 foot tube and delicate, it's gonna be a bit large".

It's HEEOWGE! I was going to put it under my desk (had it delivered to work) but it won't fit :Envy::eek: They should paint it blue and put the word TARDIS on it ;)

Not sure where it's going to live at home until I unpack it...

:D :D :D

Good too see you moving up Kev.

Linda and I are thinking about getting the 10", so judging by your comments it looks like we may have to go for a flextube......... :grin: :grin:

Good luck with it and see if you can get those pesky clouds to clear off.

Alan

I had planned to gojuggling tonight, and collect the scope from work on the way home. I got to the juggling hall to find it deserted, oh well I'll just have to start unpacking and drooling tonight :D

Good luck with it and see if you can get those pesky clouds to clear off.

I hate to say it, but there must be loads in this box :(

I don't think anybody ever forgets the size of the boxes this size of scope come in, great feeling, isn't it. :grin:

Cheers Bill. I am ridiculously excited for a guy of 32 right now...

Good too see you moving up Kev.

Wow. Really quite an appreciable size, this scope :D

OTA and bits

What can I say, it's slightly heavier than I thought it might be, but a lot lighter than I worried it could be.

Build quality seems rather better than some of the toffee fixings on my ST80.

It even comes with a handling hook at the top, so no need for a cup hook Nick.

Wow.

Saw a gap in the clouds when I got back late tonight, had to go and have a bit of a play. Someone on here suggested it's easiest to use the finder if you sort of straddle the tube and almost bear hug it, I think they're right. Managed to get the finder lined up okay. Some people have said they're useless, that's maybe a bit strong but the experience is definitely not a fun one. Then got the moon into my 30mm EP.

Wow.

That view is just obscene! The size and clarity of the moon in the ep was just amazing, very very different to the ST80 :) Had a stare and a gawp at the details, especially the profiles of craters and hills around the limb. Blown away!

It was too hazy and cloudy for anything other than the moon, so a proper first light will have to wait. But for now I'm pretty chuffed :D

Cheers Adam. With the finder, I don't find it very comfortable getting close enough the the scope to see through it - wearing glasses makes this worse... I don't suspect it'll be much fun near the zenith, but the same must be true with a Telrad to an extent surely?

You need to change your sig now ;)

Oh, I don't think I'll count 30 mins aligning on and staring at the moon a first light, I want to get a DSO in view :D

Christ!

I've seen people commenting about the big box before, but I sort of thought "well it's a 4 foot tube and delicate, it's gonna be a bit large".

It's HEEOWGE! I was going to put it under my desk (had it delivered to work) but it won't fit :Envy::eek: They should paint it blue and put the word TARDIS on it ;)

Not sure where it's going to live at home until I unpack it...

:D :D :D

LOL I remember the first Dob I had delivered. Tell me the start of this tune does not sum up the feeling perfectly from when you see the truck pull up to the point you see the boxes start coming out the van

LOL I remember the first Dob I had delivered. Tell me the start of this tune does not sum up the feeling perfectly from when you see the truck pull up to the point you see the boxes start coming out the van

Nice, but for me it was more of the theme from 'Jaws'. :grin:

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Archived