Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Field view, mac vs newt

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was delighted when I realised that my 12" f4 could (just) fit M45 in - with my 26mm Nagler it has a field of about 1.7 degrees. hopefully one day I'll actually get to use the thing.

With a 6.5mm exit pupil, I hope you'll be taking it to some dark skies ;).

A short frac (and apos) or fast newtonian are built for wide-field. Maks and SCTs are built for Planetary, mainly because they are often designed with focal ratios to match (Apos and short fracs are often ~F/5 as it makes them faster for imaging), dobsonians are usually fast because it makes them smaller so you can reach the eyepiece of a 16" without needing a step ladder (which you would need if it was F/10, maybe even a lift!)

...so back to my initial question then... are you be able to fit M45 in 5" mac (FL1500, FR11 ) + Baader 17 (68' AFOV)?

I can try to give it a go tonight. It will be a baader 21mm 68' and a 90 mm mak though. Slower FR, so if I can, you shouldn't have an issue.

I can try to give it a go tonight. It will be a baader 21mm 68' and a 90 mm mak though. Slower FR, so if I can, you shouldn't have an issue.

...great stuff :) Pop a pic over if you can!

Archived