Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Whoops Impulse Purchase on Ebay

It been a while since this thread was hot...

I decided to order one of these and saw the right numbers in junglezone and the scope arrived today. The chap that delivered it was kind enough to carry it to our kitchen.

Upon opening the boxes everything looked pristine and I was getting quite existed. The size of the scope is quite impressive. Took off the plastic bag around it and my heart stopped when I noticed the front objective cover was badly cracked. It obviously had received quite a powerful blow :-(. But everything else looked ok? Then i checked the focuser. Upon rotating the knobs it felt smooth and then hard... Smooth and then hard. Hmmm. Then i noticed the box stacked behind the focuser in the main carboard. It had a large hole. Oh no. I emptied it's content to find that hard blow during transit had the focuser destroy the finder and the finder bracket... Sad thing. It's going back and I'm getting my money back. Definitely not packed well enough and this was the last one at the price I could afford.. Bad luck. I though hard about keeping the scope but I did not want to take chances after seeing the damage to the objective cover and perhaps also to the focuser, which may be bent and may require a lengthy factory rebuild. Tsk, bad luck, bad luck. Bresser: you have to pack your stuff better!

Very Bad luck Rodrigol - although I brought mine secondhand it came with the original double wrapped cardboard carton and well fitted polystyrene inserts.    Unfortunately nothing is 100% courier proof, but the packaging was very decent at that time.   Hope the supplier arranges a quick refund and return.     They do come up every now and again on the s/h market, usually just below half the new list price - so may be worth keeping an eye out on ABS or similar, though definitely something to inspect before parting with the hard earned cash! 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like omnipaulus: Same thing happened to me. Sadly, Amazon could not replace it so a refund was initiated. The packaging is the weak link here. If carried vertically and set hard on the ground this way, the dew shield cover or the focuser take the brunt. In my case the focus had gone through the box containing the finder, finder bracket, eyepiece and diagonal (cheap stuff). The finer rings got shattered to bit and the front cap was badly cracked. There are no indication in the transit box the item should be dealt with care and only horizontally. I think that this alone could have prevented these sad endings. I'm still very keen to get one though.

• 1 month later...

Archived