pier bolts

Andrew*

How do you do your pier bolts? I was intending to submerge 1 foot of M12 zinc plated steel studding in the concrete while it's setting. Will this be sturdy enough, or will it be much sturdier if I let the concrete set, then drill holes and put in one of those fancy masonry anchor bolts?

By the way, it will be secured with three bolts and I need them to protrude at least 5cm.

Advice appreciated

Andrew

Zinc plated M12 studding is what I used, and put a couple of nuts and big washers on the ends that went into the concrete.

Made a template of the four holes in the bottom plate of the pier, and with a front and back-nut, secured each of the four studs to the template.

It was then just a matter of supporting it at the right and position, with some lengths of wood, pour in the concrete, and let it set. Job done!!.

The other alternative is to do as Mike (yfronto) did, and drill the holes in the concrete, once set, and chemically bond the studs in.

HTH.

Dave

I saw your thread, but didn't get a close up. cheers.

I'll bulk up some 12mm steel studding with washers/nuts etc. and/or bend them and get them secured in place. Just as long as it will do the job and won't budge.

cheers

Andrew

Here's how i did mine, I used the base plate itself as a bolt template with a block of wood to support with enough space underneath to actually be able to bolt the mount on top when set. A couple of piccys show better than words :D

piermount.jpg

A dry run (this top plate was scrapped as not being wide enough)

piermount1.jpg

The bits for concreating in ( flat bits to stop bolts from twisting when set)

piermount2.jpg

Polar aligned and supported

piermount3.jpg

Finished jobby

piermount4.jpg

Voila :D

• 1 month later...

Archived