Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HD timelapse camera.

K3ny0n

Hi, I'm just wondering what type of camera would you need to capture timelapse of the night sky, for instance capturing the Milky Way.

Would a normal HD 1080p be sufficient enough to be able to capture a timelapse or are they specific specifications needed?

Thanks,

Rob.

Hi Rob, i use my nikon 3100 with an intervalometer and tripod to take timelapse video. Check out you tube theres loads of video's that are really helpful....

Regards Ady

Thanks for the reply Ady, do you have to process each image after a session?

Would you think a hd video camera would be up to the job or would the lack of exposure be a problem?

Rob.

Hi, I'm just wondering what type of camera would you need to capture timelapse of the night sky, for instance capturing the Milky Way.

Would a normal HD 1080p be sufficient enough to be able to capture a timelapse or are they specific specifications needed?

What do you uses to control your 1000D for imaging? If you were using APT or BYEOS it would be easy enough to set the camera up with a tripod and lens and just have a really long caputre plan running to grab a whole bunch of stills. You'd need to set the exposure time long enough to capture stars/milky way but short enough to avoid trailing (assuming you are pointing in a fixed orientation).

What do you uses to control your 1000D for imaging? If you were using APT or BYEOS it would be easy enough to set the camera up with a tripod and lens and just have a really long caputre plan running to grab a whole bunch of stills. You'd need to set the exposure time long enough to capture stars/milky way but short enough to avoid trailing (assuming you are pointing in a fixed orientation).

Thanks for the reply Ian, Yeh I use BYEOS but my problem is I wouldn't be near a supply for the laptop as I would be out in the field without a power tank. I think I may invest in a remote timer.

Rob.

The video camera wouldn't be sensitive enough. You would need a DSLR and a wide angle lens 10-20mm you should be able to pick up the Milky way with shots of less than 20s without too much trailing. Best use a timer release cable to avoid shaking the camera or the timer function on the camera.

Archived