Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

30m Active USB 2.0 Cable or Alternatives

Macavity

I'm reviewing options re. (indoor!) REMOTE control of a scope (EQMod mount / focuser) for VIDEO astronomy. At the moment, I have (demonstrated) functional 75 Ohm Coax (for video return), CAT6 cable (Data transfer / Remote Desktop) etc. over the 30m cable run.

But I am also pondering using ONE 30m Active USB 2.0 Cable as an alternative to "remote desktop" over Cat5/6. And avoid "freezing" (temperature-wise) a notebook / laptop at the observatory end? :p

Anyone tried one of these "Active USB 2.0 Cable" over 30m? (With powered USB Hub at the remote end, maybe?) They seem to retail at £40-60. Just looking for a tried / tested solution, if possible! :)

Chris / Macavity

Hi Chris,

I've got a USB 2.0 run that converts to RS 232 that goes about 30'(Maybe a little more) I have had no problems at all with it. I am looking into going wireless on the run just to eliminate wire tangles at the scope. You want to watch that closely because crashes do happen. I watch the scope when I make major movements (Like N. to S. ) in the sky.

Dennis

Chris,

Guess I goofed on this one. I'm not sure about 30 meters not used to thinking in those terms. I hve not ran USB out that far. Better check specs on that. I've only gone 30 feet or better.

Dennis

Thanks, Steve. I'll doubtless give it a go. ;)

Aside: Been reading quite a lot of articles on remote controlled observatories. Interesting how so many folk, after experimentation, end up using (albeit superior) "long cables" rather than anything notably "Hi Tech" (WiFi, Networked etc.). <G> Telescope / Focuser control can't be all that demanding of "processing" though. As discussed elsewhere, there are reliability issues. But once I have a 75 Ohm coax (video) feed into my lounge, I can "take DATA" (the boring / cold bit) - Maybe fiddle with (some) "settings" in the warm! :)

I bought a 30m RJ45 for about 3 quid from Kenable - works perfectly well (laptop to router). This was before I noticed that my wireless signal somehow reaches the middle of my garden anyway (@30%) I use 'teamviewer' for remote access so my wireless signal is sufficient.

Thanks, Folks.

Yes, Wifi is useful too. I found out that my (observatory) Samsung NC10 has a KNOWN "feeble" Wifi transceiver. Signal strength "Excellent" just outside the observatory door, but falls to (less than) "Poor", once I get inside! My other "Sammy" seems to cover much of the neighbourhood... and the known universe? :p

Hi Chris,

Sorry I picked this thread up late. I tried & tried to set-up operating my equipment using 20m active units but failed.

I tried various active cables, powered hubs etc... that other folk where using on various forums, but to no avail.

Biggest problems where EQ6 mount freezing, guide camera with both PHD & Maxim freezing. Which with our feeble skies was mindblowingly frustrating.

Using the equipment with standard usb leads & no hubs, worked like a dream. Must state it was certainly worse during cold weather.

I now set-up with my laptop at the mount & remote control from my warm conservatory using TeamViewer on my other laptop or home pc.

One of the pluses is I can now polar align using Alignmaster whilst at the mount.

cheers

Steve

I now set-up with my laptop at the mount & remote control from my warm conservatory using TeamViewer on my other laptop or home pc.

I must admit to being "rather impressed" by TeamViewer - An accolade not lightly given to FREE Software... ;)

I sense I'm always going to be "fiddling about" near to the scope. I cannot (yet) envisage LARGE movements of the scope unattended. The power of my HEQ5 has already bent one 3.5mm jack, when I wasn't looking / thinking about meridian flips etc. (Oops) :p

A "hybrid" setup (Laptop at remote end) for "local setup" has that merit though...

Moreover, they do have sufficient internal heating to cope with most cold nights. :)

Archived