Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wide angle EP advice (for f6 SW200p)

Aronnax

Hello all,

I'm thinking of upgrading the stock EP's that came with my SW 200p Dob (f6), and am looking to start with a nice low mag, wide field EP. I don't have a huge budget, so please don't go suggesting Televue Naglers etc as the ones I should get, believe me if I could afford them at this moment in time I'd get them, but reality is such as it is.

In brief I was looking at the Skywatcher Panaview 2" 32mm, and the Aero ED 2" 30mm.

So my questions are:

1) Are either of these actually any good (in my scope)?

2) Is the extra £45 ish worth it for the Aero?

3) What else should I be considering up to £125 max price?

If anyone has any experience of these EP's with the SW 200p Dob in particular I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks very much for any advice you knowledgeable ladies and gents can give :)

Hi Aronnax I posted similar question in a thread abit below this one regarding upgrading 200p EPs Got some good advice, I,m looking at th Explorer Scientific range as they are quite well regarded and resonably well priced only prob is tho you have to get them from EU or the states by the looks of it as I have learned they are pulling out of UK dealers.

Hi aronnax, I have the 30mm Aero eyepiece. It gives me port hole like views of the stars! The double cluster is a joy, & the veil nebula fitted the fov superb in my opinion. It's very comfortable to use, & not to heavy either. The sky at the mag is not as black as say a 24mm Panoptic (which is amazing through a 200p) but still very nice. I think the optics are sharp too.

can't speak about the others, but I don't have any regrets buying it.

not scientific, I now, but hope that helps

Chris

Hi Aronnax I posted similar question in a thread abit below this one regarding upgrading 200p EPs Got some good advice, I,m looking at th Explorer Scientific range as they are quite well regarded and resonably well priced only prob is tho you have to get them from EU or the states by the looks of it as I have learned they are pulling out of UK dealers.

Hi Russty, I did have a look through that thread first, and picked up on the Explore Scientific low mag recommendation, cheers. Will consider those too, although they are completely unknown to me before now.

Clear skies :)

not scientific, I now, but hope that helps

Hi Chris, thanks for that, some good real-world feedback :)

Do you find yourself using it quite often, or do you find the low mag means you are quickly swapping for a higher power (eg: even for DSO's)?

in the same price range is the Baader Hyperion Aspheric 31mm or 36mm .its a 2" Ep with 72 deg FOV. i had one and it was beautiful in every aspect.i sold it only to get the 82 degree beast from meade what is 3 times the size and weight.other than that,i would of kept it.gave stunning views of everything.there are a lot of reviews on Aspherics and they are all great.i would strongly suggest to think about this EP too before you do your purchases and your budget is 120-130 quid,

Depends on what I'm looking for really. I have alot of dso first's to come, i guess i tend to use my 18mm or 12mm the most. However once i pop in the aero, star fields fill up your eye! I can forget how much time I've spend scanning the sky. Looking up at the zenith in light polluted sky does really blacken the sky too.

Chris

in the same price range is the Baader Hyperion Aspheric 31mm or 36mm .its a 2" Ep with 72 deg FOV. ...

Thanks for that, I'll throw it in the mix for consideration!

Is anyone aware of any comparisons between the Panaviews, and any of the other suggestions put forward here?

I've recently bought a 31mm Aspheric which really suits my 200P dob and I've been enjoying the views. M45, double cluster etc... have never looked so good to me. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the suggested EPs, just depends on what brand you like and what you want to spend. I like the Baader Hyperion range so the 31mm Aspheric was my choice :)

Archived