Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Temperatures and eye strain

The other night I finally managed to get my first look at the night sky though my scope. Even just through the finderscope I could see hundreds and hundreds more stars than with the naked eye, all waiting patiently for me to come and inspect them.

With the aid of a friend (also a complete newb like myself) we observed a satellite, Betlegeuse, the Orion Nebula and a couple of other things before viewing conditions became too poor (not that they were anywhere near goo to begin with). Among the multitude of questions I have from last night, the two pressing ones are these:

1. I was observing in the room I have had the scope set up in for a few days now, so knew I didnt really have to worry about cooling the scope to ambient temperature. However, assuming there is no wind of course, is there a lowest temperature its safe to use a scope at? I know this may be a silly question as things like Hubble work at temperatures my tiny little mind cant begin to comprehend, but thought I would check before exposing both my scope and myself to the cold.
  2. After about 20-30 mins of observing and going between targets (I wasn't doing anything specific as it was my first time) I began to struggle to keep my left eye closed, which eventually lead to it becoming really difficult to focus with my right eye as the left was having a song and dance all on its own, refusing to be closed and relaxed. Im aware this is something that may just come with time, but am wondering if theres something simple I have missed or a trick I should know.

Even though I had several issues, and cloud, and dirty windows, and wind, and my neighbours really inconsiderate 24/7 security light, I still managed to see enough to get me on the road to being hooked.

Any help/guidance would be more than appreciated for the next time (tonight hopefully, weather permitting) I get to observe that brilliant black canvas we call Space.

Cheers!

Matt

I was viewing jupiter the other night with both eyes open. My left eye could clearly see the telescope, lawn, fence and everything else due to light pollution and my right eye could only see jupiter and its moons.

After a few seconds of both eyes open I was essentially viewing jupiter slowly moving up my scope's body. In a very surreal way it looked as if jupiter was a small object moving up my scope. With a bit of mental gymnastics I was actually able to get very pleasing views of jupiter this way once I tricked my brain into thinking it was watching an object moving on my scope rather than two different images entirely.

Strange I guess but it works well enough :)

I did think that South Derbyshire wouldnt be cold enough to effect anything, I just wanted to make 100% sure before I took my wonderful new toy outside and exposed it to the elements.

As for watching Jupiter with both eyes; I tried something similar but I think my left eye had already started protesting by that point. Will definatly be interesting to see if I can trick my brain into accepting it though.

I read somewhere on here that people make use of eye patches so I think thats a route Im going to explore while Im training my eyes.

Hi Mattscar,

I have a nice fluffy deerstalker hat that I wear lopsided and twisted round to the left so that the dangly ear-warmer bit on the right side covers my right eye. I prefer to observe through the telescope with my left eye so this method allows me to have both eyes open which I find is very relaxing.

A seat is also a very nice thing to have along with a pair of 10x50 binoculars too.

Are you a drummer? I use a converted mic stand with gaffer tape and wood to support my binoculars at any angle. Works a treat! Best to do all you observing from outside though as there are less things to interfere with dem photons! :grin:

Clear skies for all.

Indeed I am a drummer yes and I hav a multitude of broken mic stands from over the years as Im also a sound engineer. Alas I dont get on well with bins, never been a big fan of them for astro puprposes. I know they work for alot of people, but they are not for me.

As for observing outside, I can see the difference now Iv done both. The view of Jupiter I got while outside last night was amazing.

Archived