NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telrad or Rigel Quickfinder

I know this has probably been discussed before but I have done a quick search and couldn't see anything obvious. So as per the above, what is the difference (if any) between the telrad and rigal quickfinder? What are their respective pros and cons? Is one considered better than the other?

To my limited knowledge, Telrads are (as you point out) bigger, heavier bits of kits that can be a bit unruly on a smaller telescope. The Rigel being smaller and lighter are less expensive. Rigels sights move as you move your head, Telrads dont. You also get a larger field of view through a Telrad. I'd go for the more robust Telrad personally, but each to their own. I'm sure you'll find someone saying they're just as good as each other, and I'm sure they'd have a point.

Can't go wrong with either to be honest. The Telrad is longer, needs more space and will make the dob a bit more top heavy. The quick finder is a little harder to use because of the small window but I marginally preferred it on an atm dob. The window was further away from the tube so it didn't require mashing one's head up against it ;-) It's also lighter, cheaper and needs a smaller footprint (though that won't matter on your setup). Both are a great piece of kit though.

Dont mean to steal your post here :lipsrsealed: , but are these recommended?

I've got a 200pds newtonian, on a HEQ5, but as far as i understand it, these are mostly aids to manually point the scope instead of the normal finder scope right? ( as in quick setup without having to Polar align the entire thing....)

Thanks in advance,

Dont mean to steal your post here lipsrsealed.gif , but are these recommended?

I've got a 200pds newtonian, on a HEQ5, but as far as i understand it, these are mostly aids to manually point the scope instead of the normal finder scope right? ( as in quick setup without having to Polar align the entire thing....)

Thanks in advance,

They are not something you would need if you are using goto. They make locating objects easier on none goto GEM and manual alt/az mounts.

Archived