Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Light for my SW 250PX Dob (whoop whoop) :-D

Well, 5 days after the arrival of my new sw 250px dobsonian I have managed to get it out for a few minutes in between the clouds and the snow.

I took it outside at about 5:30 (optimistic I know) and left it out there until there was a small break in the clouds. The clouds actually grew a lot thicker and then it snowed heavily giving my new scope a good covering. Luckily I had left the end cap on!! When the snow had just about finished and the clouds cleared, I quickly went out and pointed directly at Jupiter as it was the only thing I could see at the time. It was only about 6:30 so still quite light, but as usual Jupiter was already very visible. I first used my 25mm EP which gave quite a good view and then switched to the 10mm. The view was quite good although I think I was expecting more. I could make out the 2 main rings and another below (or I suppose it is above but vertically flipped due to the scope). I think I could also see a marking around the area of this third ring but I may have just been imagining it! lol I could also see the main moons, 2 either side - The clouds started to roll over again at this point and the view became completely obscured. My hands were also almost dropping off so went back inside to wait for the skies to clear a little more. I'm not sure why but I felt a little disappointed by Jupiter. I think I expected more from the 10mm, maybe more detail or magnification. Don't know though, maybe when the skies are clearer and there is less snow I might enjoy it a little more (if it is still here).

After 15 minutes or so I noticed that the skies at the front of my house had cleared quite a lot so I moved the scope from my back garden to my driveway as I decided that I wanted to try and attempt to see the orion nebula. At first it was a real struggle as orions belt was about 10-15 degrees below a streetlamp which is located directly at the end of my drive. I really struggled with the finderscope as there was so much glare from the streetlamp and after 5 minutes or so I decided it was pointless as all I could see was a swathe of orange. I decided I was just going to look at betelgeuse and rigel. The contrast was amazing. Rigel is so blue it almost looks like a frozen point of ice suspended in the sky, even though I know that it is a very hot young star. Betelgeuse is in stark contrast and looks so red, it's like you can almost see it on fire!

After these I decided to move the scope back a couple of feet with the hope of getting rid of the orange glow in my finder and looking once again for the Orion Nebula - it worked! I located the belt, brought the scope down and found the sword. I got the sword stars directly in the cross hairs and looked through my 25mm ep and could immediately see a large fuzzy patch. Excitedly I ran inside and got my copy of 'Turn Left of Orion' (I bought a hard copy as the kindle version is just to small to be particularly useful). I turned to the correct page, checked my view through the ep and cross referenced it with the picture in the book and BOOM, confirmed :grin: :grin: :grin: I was very impressed with the 25mm view and could just about make out a hint of green in there. I then changed over to the 10mm and I was almost blown away!! M42 was unmissable and was a definite light shade of green. The more I averted my vision, the greener it seemed to get. The trapezium was also very easy to see as well as 'Theta-2'. I could see the star that resides within M43 but I couldn't really make out the nebula cloud around it and I assume that this is due to the poor seeing conditions. I really was amazed at the detail I could make out in the orion nebula. I was expecting just a greyish blob as this is what people say you can see unless you use imaging to take long exposure photographs. So that fact that I could see a fair amount of colour was absolutely breathtaking; especially given the LP and poor viewing condiitons. The more I looked the greener and more detailed it seemed to get! It makes me wonder what I will be able to see on a very dark night and at a dark site.

The clouds then obscured the view again; slowly taking away the finer detail and then finally all of it. I also noticed that the mirror had fogged up quite a lot. I took the scope back in, thoroughly pleased with myself for being fortunate enough to be able to witness something so beautiful and magical on my first ever night of stargazing through a telescope... :smiley:

Just need to work out how to stop the mirror from fogging up now. Any suggestions?

Clear skies

Great first light report gravityguy, glad you have had the opportunity to get your new scope out.

I took delivery of a 250PX dob on Friday and the weather has been terrible, I have everything crossed for tomorrow night as the forecast looks good here, very frustrating wait!

That sounds incredible - damn it clouds go away! I need to get out there with mine for the first time.

I think tomorrow is looking good depending on where you are. Maybe tomorrow will be the night. If its clear I might take it to my new dark site that I have found :)

I think tomorrow is looking good depending on where you are. Maybe tomorrow will be the night. If its clear I might take it to my new dark site that I have found :)

Fingers crossed im watching scope nights with interest and studying satellite weather images - what on earth has this obsession with astronomy done to me. I suddenly hate clouds with a vehement passion.

I forgot to mention about how easy the dobsonian mount is to use. I quite literally took it out, put the tube assembly on and pointed in the direction I wanted. Simples! I was worried that the constant nudging would be a real problem but it is surprisingly accurate and easy to 'tweak' the direction. My sister has a sw 130eq and the dob is far easier to use IMO. I did go and buy a sankey water butt stand to put it on which works really well. It increases the height so that it is almost perfect when upright. My wife had to stand on a chair to look at Jupiter but hey ho, she won't actually be using it. It also takes the base off the grass which is a bonus.

I forgot to mention about how easy the dobsonian mount is to use. I quite literally took it out, put the tube assembly on and pointed in the direction I wanted. Simples! I was worried that the constant nudging would be a real problem but it is surprisingly accurate and easy to 'tweak' the direction. My sister has a sw 130eq and the dob is far easier to use IMO. I did go and buy a sankey water butt stand to put it on which works really well. It increases the height so that it is almost perfect when upright. My wife had to stand on a chair to look at Jupiter but hey ho, she won't actually be using it. It also takes the base off the grass which is a bonus.

You've got a 10'' my Celestron 127 is 5'' so i doubt i'll get the detail within Orion - maybe if i'm exceptionally lucky and its very clear?

Fingers crossed im watching scope nights with interest and studying satellite weather images - what on earth has this obsession with astronomy done to me. I suddenly hate clouds with a vehement passion.

i know what you mean. You suddenly realise just how much cloud we get here in the uk! Still, I suppose you have to just grin and bare it as there is bulgar all we can do. Although that massive fan sounds like a great idea :grin:

You've got a 10'' my Celestron 127 is 5'' so i doubt i'll get the detail within Orion - maybe if i'm exceptionally lucky and its very clear?

bearing in mind that I was viewing it just underneath a street lamp where I could hardly even make out Orion's Belt, I am sure you will be surprised what you can see under some dark skies on a stable night

bearing in mind that I was viewing it just underneath a street lamp where I could hardly even make out Orion's Belt, I am sure you will be surprised what you can see under some dark skies on a stable night

There are breaks in the cloud out there now, I can see Jupiter - but it appears to be still too cloudy to go out and set up, plus theres snow on the ground! Im scanning the sky with my head out the window looking for clear skies somewhere ...

Archived