Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WinJupos - a few thoughts

budski

What with the appalling weather lately and the lack of any fresh material I spent a bit of time today re-processing some Jupiter images I took a couple of weeks ago with the ASI 120MM camera.

This time I made a real effort to ensure I didn't rush the process especially at the WinJuos stage - making sure that the outline was correctly orientated with all 3 (RGB) images. Although this new result looks better than a previous attempt, I still think the registration could be better (tighter?) if I could manually slide/rotate the resultant 'measured' images.

Does anyone know if that's possible to do ?

Budpost-6215-0-83350900-1362955597_thumb.jp

Hi Bud - I'll respond a bit more later if I get the time but your suggestion was one that occurred to me quite a long time ago.....don't think it's a reality even though you get the "feel" it would often solve the situation when you're darn sure that you've got the AF's properly setup but something's amiss.....with Saturn it is a rainbow adjacent to the disk shadow on the rings...

Altering LD seems to be the only recourse for Jove and doesn't cut it on Saturn in the above repect.....I suspect those .ims files might be a little more than "straight" image files but really have nfi on this.....I remember saying here and elsewhere that if WinJupos gave us the derotated image channels per se we'd probably do a better job of recombining once we got these from the frame measurements.....but as I said I suspect it's a bit more complex than allowing for this simplistic approach..!

Hi Darryl, I only mentioned this because you can generically do it in Photoshop's Transform option where it is possible to stretch one side of an image while foreshortening the other. I assume that's what's happening 'behind the scenes' in WJ except that in WJ the clever bit must be the proportional lessening of the effect as you come away from the Jovian equator. Perhaps it's broken down into the positioning of the main bands/polar regions - I don't know.

I have also experienced the 'rainbow' effect you speak of where I feel that just a tad of adjustment would align the colours to produce a definite edge. Perhaps there's someone in our forum community that knows if the *.ims files can be converted to TIFFs or JPGs to enable us to do our own alignment in PS.

Bud

Archived