NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Bino or refractor?

Hello to all of you,

first of all thank you for read this post.

I am just arrived in Bristol UK , moving from Rome, Italy where i have two telescopies (Dobson 12") and (refractor 80mm APO EQUINOX).

I am in doubt what to do here in Bristol..

i am without car, but i hope to join some ASTROPARTY - STAR PARTY in the summer...

i would like to continue sometime to observe... like now: comet PANSTARS!!

SO, what do you advice me?

1) take my little equinox 80 mm here? it's quite little and easy to transport...and maybe i'll buy the mount , cheap mount here in UK, maybe used

2) take a binocular, a triplet nebula rp optix 20x80 (used)... (140£) and enjoy with it ( i never used a bino, i am just curious) ... but i noticed that s very heavy and so i ve to buy always a mount

3) take a refractor 66ed here in UK

what do you suggest me?

I haven't a car,. I would like to observe from neighboor of Bristol, mainly the principal cluster, M , jupiter ...

I would bring the Equinox 80 over and use that.

The 80mm are a very good all round size and as you already have it why spend more money.

If you have any "normal" binoculars such as 8x42's perhaps get them as well as they are another general viewing instrument.

Bristol AS

May be of use if within distance of wherever you are.

Friday and Saturday (15th+16th) this week look like either could be worth a visit if you have the oppurtunity to get along.

Binoculars are utra portable no hassle.

But I think a small refractor is much more versatile as you can change magnification and use a diagonal to comfortably view at high elevations.

Downside is you will need a mount plus a case for the eyepieces etc.

However, as you have no car, then maybe your best bet is binoculars.

If you attend a club or starparty, most others there will let you look through their scope.

Regards, Ed.

The equinox 80 is a lot more versatile than 20 x 80 bins it's a bit easier to mount than 20 x 80 bins and it's more comfortable to view with at zenith also 20 x 80 bins are not really powerful enough for planetary viewing

Just bring the Equinox. Its far more versatile than the bins, easier to look through high in sky and the magnification/field of view can be varied. The bins can't be used for planets with any great success. Plenty of AZ4 mounts coming up secondhand at the moment, you would only need the lightweight aluminium tripod version. It's no brainer really.

Perhaps pickup a cheap but decent pair of 15x70's to compliment the scope, they are only £50 new and can be handheld with reasonable success.

Binoculars are utra portable no hassle.

But I think a small refractor is much more versatile as you can change magnification and use a diagonal to comfortably view at high elevations.

Downside is you will need a mount plus a case for the eyepieces etc.

However, as you have no car, then maybe your best bet is binoculars.

If you attend a club or starparty, most others there will let you look through their scope.

Regards, Ed.

I was going to write something that was suspiciously similar to your response. So I'll +1 you instead :smiley:

Hello to all of you,

first of all thank you for read this post.

I am just arrived in Bristol UK , moving from Rome, Italy where i have two telescopies (Dobson 12") and (refractor 80mm APO EQUINOX).

I am in doubt what to do here in Bristol..

i am without car, but i hope to join some ASTROPARTY - STAR PARTY in the summer...

i would like to continue sometime to observe... like now: comet PANSTARS!!

SO, what do you advice me?

1) take my little equinox 80 mm here? it's quite little and easy to transport...and maybe i'll buy the mount , cheap mount here in UK, maybe used

2) take a binocular, a triplet nebula rp optix 20x80 (used)... (140£) and enjoy with it ( i never used a bino, i am just curious) ... but i noticed that s very heavy and so i ve to buy always a mount

3) take a refractor 66ed here in UK

what do you suggest me?

I haven't a car,. I would like to observe from neighboor of Bristol, mainly the principal cluster, M , jupiter ...

I will take the Equinox ED80, since you already have it. You can put it on a decent photographic tripod to keep the weight down. A 20x80 binocular is going to be less portable than your ED80.

btw, in the UK it doesn't get dark until 10pm or later in the summer, so most star parties takes place in spring or autumn.

I will take the Equinox ED80, since you already have it. You can put it on a decent photographic tripod to keep the weight down. A 20x80 binocular is going to be less portable than your ED80.

btw, in the UK it doesn't get dark until 10pm or later in the summer, so most star parties takes place in spring or autumn.

thank you everyone for help.

and if i bought a pair of CANON 15x50 IS

what do you think?

i am thinking that will be my first binocular and it's a good way to solve my problems, even if is not powerful like ed 80 with eyepieces.

mmmm whaat do you know about this wonderful binocular?

It's a little bit expensive but i can afford this price if you suggest me.

Maybe i could buy this bino used.

thank you for welcoming answer

I've briefly used one of the smaller Canon IS binoculars. The stabilisation really works and lets them perform as well as a larger unstabilised binocular. However for the price you could get a great pair of normal binoculars and a high-quality tripod or parallelogram mount and still have a good slice of cash left over - or, for that matter, a really excellent scope.

Archived