Star Alignment on Celestron 127

As far as alignment is concerned the Best Pair alignment guide is very useful. The 3rd star can be any of those in the 80 or so stars up to just over mag 2 that Celestron have in their databases. But you may also find that a single star alignment can work just as well, providing that you center it properly - or even use a planet like Jupiter. And for accurate centering do use the highest power eyepiece you have and defocus it to make a very large circle. That was you can be reasonably sure you have centered it.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought all I had to do was point the red dot at each of the bright stars and it would do the rest. I don't know if I've centred the rdf with the scope might be an idea to confirm they line up the minute I get the chance

Clouds go away!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Just come in from another 30 minutes of attempted viewing. I did something a little different this time, i pointed my scope at a chimney and plugged in the 25mm eye piece just to make sure i had it focussed and that the RDF and the scope were lined up. Then i told it to find jupiter - which it did correctly the first time - but when i looked through the EP all i saw was black, despite the RD being dead centre on Jupiter. I would have thought i'd at least see the light from it? Anyone tell me where i've gone wrong?

Your chimney probably wasn't far enough away to make the alignment accurate enough. Also using the highest mag eyepiece for the alignment would help. Once you have it close using that method, you can fine tune when viewing a star or planet.

How far should my target be? Also do you happen to know why it thought Jupiter was further south west than it actually was. I was arguing with it saying no Jupiter is here im staring straight at it, but it was determined to go off south for some reason. It did accurately locate it not long before that.

I wouldn't worry too much about distance. Get it close on the chimney as you have done and fine tune on a star/planet in the scope.

Assuming the scope is alt/az, if it is not perfectly level, it will not track accurately so initially it may line up with a target but then later on will not as the tracking has not accurately followed your target. This assumes you didn't kick the mount by accident !!!!!!

I definately didn't kick the mount :) - It was quite a bit off. The chimney was pretty clear in the scope and it looked spot on, but when i looked through i tried refocussing and nothing just black. So i'm guessing that my alignment wasnt quite as perfect as i thought based on my chimney moments earlier.

Maybe you aren't, but don't get the alignment of the finder and scope mixed up with scopes ability to find a particular target. Once you have the finder and scope aligned, if not tracking properly, the scope could still start missing targets.

Have you consider taking the scope to a local astronomical society?

Ideally the finder and scope should be aligned using a distant target. (A few miles)

Have you entered your coordinates and dates in the correct format? If not then the scope may not know where to point.

I found the best way to align the rdf was to pick a bright star or Jupiter just now and find it in the scope eyepiece first (your widest will do for a start), you can sight along the length of the scope to help with that, then line the rdf up on it and check back with the eyepiece once again. The target will have moved a bit but as long as it's close it should be fine. the rdf is only there as an aid after all. You can fine tune it using a higher power eyepiece if you want to afterwards.

As for why your scope isn't pointing to the target, once you've done that ^ aligning the scope should get easier. I always use 3 star align when setting up the 127 because I believe it gives me the best accuracy.

I found the best way to align the rdf was to pick a bright star or Jupiter just now and find it in the scope eyepiece first (your widest will do for a start), you can sight along the length of the scope to help with that, then line the rdf up on it and check back with the eyepiece once again. The target will have moved a bit but as long as it's close it should be fine. the rdf is only there as an aid after all. You can fine tune it using a higher power eyepiece if you want to afterwards.

As for why your scope isn't pointing to the target, once you've done that ^ aligning the scope should get easier. I always use 3 star align when setting up the 127 because I believe it gives me the best accuracy.

That sounds like a great idea. I do agree that I may needed to visit a local astronomy society meeting, probably one at Sunderland to chart with people there.

Probably get me aligned in no time, I also have considered the telrad finder. Not sure whether it will help but it's had people passing saying positive things about out particularly how they struggled to find stars and get them lined up but then with the telrad they were lining up in no time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Archived