Help - Celestron NexStar SLT 127 Won't Power

I've inserted 8 x AA batteries the manual states that upon flicking the power switch a red light should come on the switch - only it doesn't.

Batteries are all inserted correctly and they are brand new bought today.

An I missing something? Or do I have a dud scope?

Well done :)

AA batteries won't last you long though, look into buying a powertank of some kind (I think Aldi have one on offer just now at £39.99)

How long do batteries typically last in a scope? I've only bought the one pack I think the power tank will be the way to go

Checked the Aldi website and can't find it either, it might have been Lidl since I was in both shops on the same day. Similar to the Maplins one but with two cigar sockets on the front.

I was in exactly the same situation, first time out when I got my 127 SLT. The batteries lasted about 30 mins. After that, someone suggested the powertank and cable. Job sorted. However I have since retired the powertank and bought a 12v mains transformer as I need more reliable constant power for my CG5 and dew tape and controller.

For sure though the Maplin 3 in 1 powertank will do you fine. Whatever you do though is ensure it is always kept fully charged, even when not being used. If they are left to fully discharge the cells in the tank will be ruined and you will have to get a new one. As long as you follow this simple procedure you will be ok.

I was in exactly the same situation, first time out when I got my 127 SLT. The batteries lasted about 30 mins. After that, someone suggested the powertank and cable. Job sorted. However I have since retired the powertank and bought a 12v mains transformer as I need more reliable constant power for my CG5 and dew tape and controller.

For sure though the Maplin 3 in 1 powertank will do you fine. Whatever you do though is ensure it is always kept fully charged, even when not being used. If they are left to fully discharge the cells in the tank will be ruined and you will have to get a new one. As long as you follow this simple procedure you will be ok.

Thanks malc - great advice!

Archived