Broken 450d

Davey-T

So it seemed like a good idea to modify my 450d before SGL8.

Took it apart as per Gary Honis instructions removed PCB board and the mini USB plug dropped off.

It appears to have been glued to the board not soldered, anyone know if it can be glued back and what with, some sort of conductive glue obviously, or I can buy a new board for £130.00 :huh:

Dave

I have never stripped a DSLR down before but I can’t see the mini USB plug being glued down onto the board.

Hope someone can help you out here £130.00 sounds quite a lot just to get this fixed :(

Jim

Definatley glued on, done some research and two part conducting adhesive is available but thats £40.00 a go and then can't be sure it will work,.

Anybody ever used it ?

Dave

Wow, that’s cheep I hope they have not done this with the 7D!! I have never used conducting adhesive before but £40 is a lot better then £130.00 does it look like it can be done getting the conducting adhesive!! I know I would give it ago I have used silver conducting polymers before for repairing tracks and this worked.

Jim

post-21198-0-33403600-1362837238_thumb.j

post-21198-0-36018100-1362837251_thumb.j

Here's a couple of pic's one with socket in place and one off, the pink stuff is some sort of glue, definately not solder.

I suppose in normal use the socket wouldn't get much use but in astro photography it spends a lot of time swinging around on the scope with a plug in it.

Gluing looks trickey as very small terminals and you can't see what you're doing so hit and miss really.

As you say, hope the £5000.00 + models are made a bit better :)

Dave

I think the socket pins are soldered to the board! But from above not from underneath as one would have thought because its surface mounted, if you place the socket back in its correct place could anyone add heat to the five pins from above! looking at another board I have found on the net only three of these pins are connected to the board

Jim

Archived