NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

March 1, 2013: Brief bash with bins after bout of ballroom dancing

After my weekly ballroom (and latin) dancing lessons, last Friday, the sky was uncharacteristically clear, but it was a bit late to get the scope out. By the time it would be cool enough to use, the moon would be up. Time for the bins. First up was M45, which is a binocular object par excellence. Lovely sight. the Rosette (cluster and nebula) showed itself faintly, as did Praesepe (M44). Near the Rosette, just to the east and a bit north, a diffuse more-or-less circle of stars could be seen: Collinder 106. Too big for the big scope, but well spotted with bins. I then had a look at M81 and M82, which were nearly overhead. Great pair and very easy in these big bins. M101 was a great deal tougher, but it could just be made out in averted vision.

NGC 2903 in Leo was also visible, first time in bins (I had seen it before in my 16x70 finder, so no real surprise). This is one of the nicest non-Messier, non-Caldwell objects out there. M66 could also be made out, but not much else at the eastern en of Leo, as LP from the city was encroaching on that part of the sky. Finally, I had a look out of the upstairs window to spot NGC 3242, the Ghost of Jupiter with bins for the first time (from the garden it was hidden behind trees). I had seen it with the C8 previously, but never with bins. It shows up as a small, near stellar object in bins. It is quite bright and could readily be mistaken for a star, but if you take care you can spot it is slightly extended.

So, an enjoyable 40 minutes or so with bins, mainly visiting old friends, but a new object found as well. Great to be out there after such a torrid time.

An interesting haul for binoculars.

The Ghost of Jupiter is on my hit list but I only have a very short window of opportunity to view it from my back garden.

I'll also have to try for NGC 2903 in my 15x70s. It is quite large and hopefully will show up.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! I have always liked alliterative verse (like Beowulf)

Not being particularly literary - I read a fair bit but nothing you'd find on an English curriculum, just your everyday novels - I've always expected something like Beowulf to be thoroughly impenetrable. Not sure why I think that, since it occurs to me I don't actually have any idea what it is!

Archived