Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing report of Central Midlands Stargazers 2/3/13

cyborg421

Observing report of Central Midlands Stargazers 2/3/13

http://www.centralmi...stargazers.com/

Scope: Skywatcher Flextube 250PX.

Given the appalling weather recently it was good to get out under some clear skies with reasonable seeing conditions. The temperature was not too cold. I arrived about 7.45 and after setting the scope up my first target, thanks to Andy’s heads up, was Jupiter and the Great Red Spot. Jupiter is always a pleasure to view and although the sharpness of the view was going in and out with my 8mm, the Red Spot was clearly visible. I can honestly say this was the first time I could definitely say I have seen it. I think I have seen it before but was not 100% sure. I can definitely tick it off my list now. The size is huge about 1/6 of the width of the planet. I watched it until it had moved from view.

Onto the Pleiades in my 31mm, a lovely view as normal although I am sure there are 8 not seven sisters.

I was accompanied by Simon Atkinson and over the evening we both sent time looking through each others scopes, Dave arrived later on in the evening. Astronomy is one of those pleasures that is better shared.

Over the evening I managed to see these;

M1 - the Crab Nebula in Taurus, amazing impressive even after 1000 years since the supernova that made it.

M42 – the clear skies made an normally impressive object even better, The curved shape of the nebula wrapping itself around the Trapezium in the middle.

Iota Cancri – I am not a great fan of splitting double but I do like coloured double of which Iota Cancri is an example. A larger yellow star with a smaller blue white companion.

The Double Cluster in Perseus – a personal favourite and one I observe every time I go out. I never fail to be awed by the view.

M101 – This is a really difficult one even under darkish skies. It is really diffuse and quite easily missed. I could definitely see it but it was very faint.

The Owl Nebula in Ursa Major – this is one have tried to see before but failed. Last night, probably because Ursa Major was high in the sky, it leapt out at me immediately and I wondered why I had had so much difficulty before. Like most nebulae the “Owl” is only visible as a photographic object.

The Eskimo Nebula – I also like this one and I can see some hint of colour in it.

The Leo Triplet of Galaxies – again another tricky one but immensely satisfying to see all three galaxies in one eyepiece, my 22mm Televue.

The Beehive Cluster – this was visible naked eye but I couldn’t see individual stars. Through my 31mm it was beautiful. It’s a very expensive eyepiece but worth every penny in my view.

M3 – another of my favourites, a dense globular cluster. When seeing is good I can use my 6mm and it is spectacular. Not quite that good tonight.

M35 – not one I normally go to but each time I do I am reminded how good it is. The star field is dense and it is quite difficult to pick out M35 amongst it. It stands alone in a little dark patch among a multitude of stars.

We packed up about 11.30 as the seeing was deteriorating but It was really good to blow the dust off the scope for a what has seemed a very long time.

Simon

Archived