Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Upgrading the mount

Now I've only had my Explorer 130P since October, but thanks to Cliff's Xbox webcam mod I seem to have got the bug for imaging planets. I don't see myself getting into imaging DSOs, too much computer time and I do enough of that at work :smiley:

I really like the 130P and really want to continue using it for for the time being. I've liked the results that I've managed to achieve with my SPC 900 web cam and I've really got a sense of achievement when I've managed to track down some faint fuzzy. However, for my webcam imaging, I need a more stable mount than the EQ2. I'm thinking of getting an EQ3 Pro Syncscan GOTO. I know a HEQ 5 would be 'future proof', but its a lot of £££ that I don't see myself using fully for some time and I honestly don't see myself having a large scope as space at home is limited.

Am I missing something, or are there other options out there?

Hi

I also have a 130 and yep i do like it as well, quick and easy to set up and carry / store

but as you say the mount is not a rock, :grin:

an EQ5 is i think about two steps up and is a lump just read some of the other posts,

and the 5pro goto version is a little over £500

and an HEQ5 even more money and weight. :eek:

I don’t have any experience of an EQ3 pro but it’s about £390 and they say its rated for a 150p max

so a 130 should be fine...ish, but at almost £400 perhaps its worth taking time to consider for another say

£120 the EQ5pro goto that would be great for a 130 and let you expand to a 150 or 200

but at the end of the day its all down to you get what you pay for,

and as we have all found out at some stage if you want rock steady then it costs :mad:

gra

The trouble is, at £390 for a new EQ3-2, you're nearly into 2nd hand HEQ-5 territory (£500). It would be better in my opinion just to save. I'm in a similar boat, and have decided to save up for the HEQ-5 as it will suit for many years to come.

Archived