NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ5 SynScan Alignment failed

lensman57

Hi,

I know that this topic has come up before but I tried to align the mount tonight using 1 star alignment and 2 star alignment and each time I got the message "alignment failed RA offset >45", the mount is level and polar aligned to the best of my ability and the hand set has the correct parameters put in, the GoTo actually found the 2nd star , Aldebaran and put it right in the center of the EP but why the message, I spend a couple of hours just observing Jupiter in the tracking mode before I packed up. I would be grateful for any advice please. The mount is fed through a fully charged up tank.

Regards,

A.G

Date in mm/dd/yyyy as per Uncle Sam . . . ?

Hi Steve,

Mant thanks for your reply, all the data formats are correct and enterrd correctly. I have even checked that system displays the correct local sidereal time which it did. I have been doing some research on the net and there maybe an issue with the home position or the Park position at Home coordinates that my confuse the computer. Last night I set it to what I think is the correct home position and will have to check this against the stars on a clear evening or I may just be able to do a dummy run during daytime and see if I get the failure , message again. It all sounds very odd as there is no mention of any of this in the instruction manual. Very poorly written manual indeed. On a different note , another one of my hobbies is model engineering and a I do have a couple of CNC enabled machines, the machine and the controller boards are Chinese made and they too seem to have a very poorly written set up manuals as if some one used the old Google translate to do the job but at least the importers in the UK took the trouble to rewrite a proper manual and post it on line so the English speaking people could at least set up the machines and do a basic service and the necessary maintenance on them, I wonder why the importers of these mounts and scopes could not commission a similar work for the customers as like myself quite a lot are novice at this hobby.

Many thanks and regards,

A.G

As Jesper said above, I was struggling badly with constantly failing alignments, but a factory reset seems so far to have cured it. The manual should at least show the menu trees.

Hi,

I parked the scope correctly the other night and carried out a dummy alignment run, it went through and alignment succeeded. Will try it for real one of these nights. The problem with the EQ5 is that it really has no reilable datum to work from and manually return the scope to an accurate home position unless one uses a marker or sticky tape or something, not very hightech for a modern Goto mount.

Many thanks,

A.G

Archived