SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Baader 24mm Hyperion vs 32mm Classic Plossl?

enigma

Does anyone know how the above two eyepieces compare in terms of performance? Also, how the Classic Orthos (18mm, 10mm, 6mm) compare to the Hyperions (17mm, 10mm and 5mm)? I am aware that the Classics have a narrower field of view, but their price is half.

I have used and reviewed Hyperions but that was some time back so it's a little difficult to compare what I recall of them with the Baader Classics which I currently have.

Really they are eyepieces which completely contrast each other in their characteristics. The Baader Classics are small, light and very sharp, have great contrast and light scatter control but the eye relief of the orthoscopics is limited to around 80% of the eyepiece focal length and the sharp area of the field of view is around 45 degrees.

The Hyperions are much larger units, have much more eye relief and a much wider field of view but I think there would be some compromises in ultimate sharpness, contrast and light scatter if you compared them "back to back" with the Classics, especially the orthoscopics. I found that Hyperions seem to suffer astigmatism (distorted star images) in fast scopes (ie: faster than around F/7) in the outer parts of their field of view.

Both good eyepieces but different horses for different courses, perhaps ?

Are they of similar build quality? Are the Classics built to last?

Both will last if they are treated with a little care. The finish is very plain and simple with the Classics but it does the job efficiently. The Hyperions are a more complex design both optically and mechanically.

The bodies and barrels of the Baader Classics has a similar quality of exterior finish to the Hyperions - black satin powder coated aluminum, but a much less chunky build. I've only been loaned them for a few weeks so it's too early to say how well they will wear over time.

The original poster was more interested in their comparative performance though.

My experience of the 24mm Hyperion compared to a regular 32mm plossl is the field of view remains similar but the extra magnification afforded by the 24mm makes for a darker background to the night sky.

John - does that still follow after your experiences with the new range?

My experience of the 24mm Hyperion compared to a regular 32mm plossl is the field of view remains similar but the extra magnification afforded by the 24mm makes for a darker background to the night sky.

John - does that still follow after your experiences with the new range?

Yes - a 24mm will darken the background sky a bit more than a 32mm.

I'm pulling together a report on the Baader Classic Plossl 32mm compared to a Vixen 30mm NPL plossl. I hope to post it shortly :smiley:

Archived