SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Weight limit on an EQ2, biggest OTA?

SteveRob

I think a 5" newtonian or a 5" schmidt-cassegrain or maksutov-newtonian would be more or less the limit. Celestron did a C5 SCT on the EQ2 mount (or their equivalent) for a while.

I'm talking about visual observing here.

Thanks Guys,

So a 130 (5") is about the max then, oh dear - I guess I had better have a rethink, was hoping to be able to put a bigger aperture OTA on my EQ2.

Decisions, decisions, I least I got an answer/s that makes sense, looks like a whole new load of kit to decide on and then do some saving up.

Cheers

SteveR

Hi Guys,

I was hoping to be able to mount something bigger than 6" aperture on it, can't do that by the sounds of it, a major rethink re scope is needed, I think an 8" is the max I would like to go, I do like using an equatorial mount, easy enough for a quick session, which is what I need, as I said I will only be doing visual - lunar, planets and DSO's.

Thanks it saved me making a mistake buying an OTA that would be too heavy.

Cheers

Steve

Archived