Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

100% Ready to go this time.

After the false start I had last week with my powertank packing in. I bought a Maplin 12v mains supply and also a couple of new cigar lighter adaptors with ring tongue ends to power my mount and also my heatertape.

Also by recommendation, someone suggested getting a plastic storage box to keep the mains powersupply in while using it in the garden to keep the dew/moisure at bay and site it underneath the tripod so as not to keep on tripping over it in the dark.

Well this afternoon I got the whole thing set up in my living room and powered up properly for the first time. Also had a chance to line up my new Skysurfer V on a tv aerial in the distance.

Having read on a few threads that the CG 5 is rather noisy I must confess that I agree. Won't be doing any late night observing otherwise the neighbours might get a little miffed.

In any case Having invested alot of money on additional/better equipment, time on research and a couple of false starts over the past few months and also my eye operation putting the brakes on things for a long while and also the wonderfully lousy weather, This could actually be it this time. Hurrah... The only thing stopping me now is the weather. Once/if the clouds part. No more excuses. I want this real bad and am desperate to really see what my C9.25 can do. I have seen what others have achieved with this tube and I want a slice of it. I am pretty sure i'll be blown away.

Will it be first light with the scope? Hope the skies clear up for you soon. I'm currently experiencing100% cloud cover and have had this for the last week.

I have however managed to get my nexus 7 to control my scope using a Bluetooth connection and sky safari pro which I think is going to add a fun dimension to stargazing. can't wait to get a clear night to try it out on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Hey skir,

My first light was back in July, but it was a real disappointment as it being in the summer there was alot of moisture in the atmosphere and I didn't have a heatertape at that time so the front element of my scope fogged over and stopped my first outing in it's tracks.

After that I was laid up for 4 months following eye surgery.

Due to the fact that my first time out was so bad, i'm going to forget it and class this one as my proper first light.

Blimey, looking at your set-up, I like the sound of what you have done bluetoothing you CG5 to your Nexus. Did you have to buy a special device to be able to do it? With the built in GPS on the Nexus that acts as the controller??? Was considering the Skysense thing from Celestron, but if I can achieve the same results using a tablet then there is no point in spending £300 or whatever it is going to be on that.

Basically it is connected with a Bluetooth to serial unit, a male to male serial gender changer and a rj11 to serial cable to connect to the hand control of the nexstar system.

The hardest bit was configuring the baud rate on the Bluetooth to serial adapter to be correct to speak to sky safari. There is a guide on here somewhere I'll try and find it for you.

You could use it to help with improving alignment but not to do full alignment from scratch I don't think. But then the star sense won't be able to do full polar alignment either from discussion I've read on the celestron yahoo group recently.

Here you go http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?/topic/130335-Sky-Safari---bluetooth-telescope-control?#entry1595911 see post number 24. However as per those instructions you don't need the null modem connector plug as there is a switch setting on the Bluetooth to serial adapter which just needs to be changed.

Parts required cost about £40 in total.

Archived