2nd hand 6se nexstar

Hello all,,

I'm going to look at a 2nd hand 6se nexstar its going for 600euro down from 750euro,,,

What i was looking at was a new skymax 127 and the power tank which comes to 580euro,,

by going with the 6se i'd still have to get a power tank which is going to up my budget,,

What is there in the differance between the 2 scopes,, instead of getting a power tank what other source of power is out there

because i have a power point in the garden,,,

The nexstar is about 8mts old he said and comes with a dew sheild and a solar filter + the 2 EP's

Which 1 has the better views,,i know it all comes down to better EP's

At first i was looking to upgrade to either (1) celestron 5se,,(2)celestron NS 127 SLT,,(3)skymax 127

but the SE were a bit out of my price range so was thing of going for NS 127SLT or skymax 127

now that the 6se has come up i'm still none of the wiser and need some good advice,,,

Greg

If you are comparing the Nexstar 127 SLT (SW AZ GOTO) against a Nexstar 6SE, then the 6SE is going to outperform the 127 Mak in just about every performance category out there, except weight and price.

The C6 is brighter on DSO, sharper on planets. The tube takes about as much time to cool and is compatible with much more accessories.

The SE mount is much more stable than the SLT/AZ GOTO. Contrary to popular opinion, I run mine on 8 rechargable AA just fine. I use 8x 2000mAh Duracell Stay charged or GP Recycko. Both are able to run the mount for two session without recharge. Unlike a lead acid powertank, you can run these Ni-MH battery until they are flat without any ill effects.

I'd definitely go for the Nexstar 6SE over the 127 mak

Thanks for the help,,i'm going tomorrow (tuesday) to have a look i can only make it during the day would of liken to go at night and see in set up and to view tru it,,

is there anything i should look out for while its day light,,wouldn't mind if there are a few little marks on it as long as the optics aren't marked in any way,,,

Paul if i do get it i will stop off in liffey valley and have a look in halfords and see what they have,,,i thought there was a maplins in blancherstown,but liffey valley is nearer,,is that the 1 you use on your 8se,,,

thanks again

greg

Another +1 for the 6SE, it's an excellent scope and at 8 months old I'd expect it to be in excellent condition, so that's a real bargain - and the solar filter and dew shield together new would be about £70 new as well (and you'll definitely need that dew shield!), so I'd say go for it.

As for EPs, the 6SE has quite a long focal length (f10) which from what I've been told makes it quite forgiving of the "cheaper" EPs, so what you've got already will no doubt be fine. And you'll definitely notice an improvement in the views compared to the 130md you have already.. I'm not sure you would with the other scopes you were looking at?

So... a resounding thumbs up for the 6se from me :) (with no bias at all, obviously ;) )

I have the 8se, only bought last week - and I think it's superb. I was concerned about the stability of the single arm mount, but I was worrying over nothing. It's very solid, and the alignment of the goto can easily be done in 5 minutes and is very accurate.

You could power the mount off a 12V power supply but I use a 12V 7A/H battery and that seems fine and can be bought for about £20.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk HD

Archived